Friday, December 1, 2017

New Year's Resolutions

In spite of everything else, I have been keeping this list of goals in mind over the last few months, and I've been working towards getting them accomplished!



1) Complete 12 Home Improvement Projects
This month has been a two-fer!  First, the plumbing under the toilets gave way.  We had to replace the pipes under the toilets.  MORE plumbing.  That damn copper piping keeps giving way.  There's still a lot that needs to be replaced - but I'm crossing my fingers that this is it for a while.  Second, the toilet in the Master Bedroom was running almost constantly.  We were at the point where we had to turn off the water to the toilet after every time we flushed.  Husband fixed that last weekend.  I'm ready to move away from fixing the bathrooms and plumbing and onto something else.  Like the roof - and adding a porch onto the house.
 
New Pipes in the basement.
The list to date:
1) Recover the kitchen chairs.
2) Add the knobs to the cabinet under the kitchen sink.
3) Fix the sewer line out of the house, through the basement wall.
4) Replace the baseboard heater in the hall bathroom.
5) Replace the lighting in the hall bathroom.
6) Re-enamel the hallway bathroom tile.
7) Replace the light at the bottom of the basement stairwell.
8) Paint the cinder block wall in the basement where we replaced the pipe.
9) Fix the running toilet in the Master Bathroom.
10) Fix the leaking pipes under the toilets down in the basement.  (Copper Pipes)


2) Lose a few more inches around my waist.
Honestly, I wanted to lose 2-3 inches.  How hard can that be?
Difficult.  Very difficult.
It really does get harder as you get older.



3) Get away with my husband - TWICE - this year.
Done!
The first trip was a long weekend to visit our oldest child at school.  (OK, that's a maybe..)
Second was the long weekend we spent in Princeton - he was up there for business, and I went up there for a long weekend at our own expense at the end of his official business.

We did get in a third trip - out to Denver for a Memorial Service.  We enjoyed ourselves, and had a great time catching up with family from all over the country.
Princeton



4) Lenten Cleaning Challenge
 Done!  40 bags in 40 days!  I'm looking forward to doing this one again next year!





5) Post at least 12 book reviews on my Books for Teens Blog
I've been reading a lot of YA fiction this month!  Almost everything I've read has been a hit. 
You can see my blog here:
https://librarynut-booksforteens.blogspot.com/




6) Finish the Hallway Bathroom

9 years after the long nightmare began, we now have 2 working bathrooms in our house!
  




7) Participate in the NoSpenduary Challenge
The moratorium is over!  We still don't wantonly spend money, but our savings account is back up where it should be, tuition has been paid, and we're plotting our big home improvement project for next year.  Hopefully, that one doesn't cascade into a larger project like this year's project did.

Who am I kidding?  It's a home improvement project on a 40 year old house.  OF COURSE it's going to be more involved than we want it to be.  We need to add an emergency cushion onto the funding for that project when we start planning it out.



8) Learn another language.
This one was a great thought, but it never has gone anywhere.

9) 100 Things Every Marylander Should Do

One more!  I walked along Carroll Creek in Frederick.  It is a beautiful walk, through the heart of downtown Frederick and through the old section north of the city.  What a gorgeous walk!





10) Daughter's Quilt
Progress!  I am making big progress!  It won't be finished before the end of 2017, but it will be finished before the end of the school year!
Luna REALLY likes the quilt.



11) Clean Out Closet and Dresser Drawers


Done!  And the stuff I no longer need has been sent to Goodwill. 

12) Clean Out the Little Room in the Basement and Make it Usable
A little progress has been made.  I moved the wooden shelves out and into another room.  I put oldest child's stuff on those shelves.  These are the boxes of stuff that he wants to keep long term but just doesn't have the space for in his current apartment.




13) Work on Landscaping the Front Yard
Well, since our next big project is going to be replacing the roof and adding a front porch to the house, I'm not going to do anything with the landscaping until after the porch is finished.  This one will be a no go for this year.



14) Take at Least One Class through the ALA 
I finished the class!  I submitted two of the lessons that I wrote, and they have been approved as library programs for this summer!  Hooray!  It's going to be a great summer!  Even better?  I got a few more CEU's to add to the total number of hours I need to renew my teaching certificate.

Are you still working on your resolutions?  Have you made progress?

No comments:

Post a Comment