Monday, December 11, 2017

Savage Library

I posted these pictures back in April, but I'm posting them again!  I'm cleaning out the 3,000 pictures on my phone.  *sigh*  Some are being printed out as prints and put into an album.  Some are being deleted, and some, I'm posting on here just to make certain I've got a copy of them somewhere!  Enjoy!


Back in the spring, I stopped in at the Savage Library in Howard County.  When the kids were little, I used to bring them here for story time.  Especially Little Miss.  The librarian just "clicked" with my daughter, and she adored her and made many friends!  The library was remodeled several years back.  The building had been shared with the Senior Center.  A new Center was opened in the area, and the library expanded into the other half of the building.  I really do like the use of space.  What was a very dark, closed space has been opened up, lots of windows have been added, the service desk expanded, more computers are available, and the teen section is pretty phenomenal.  Even better, they have added a large meeting/auditorium space where the senior center was located.  It's a very light and airy space.  One thing I've noticed while visiting the Howard County Libraries is that they seem to be using a consistent color palette throughout their buildings.  So, while the buildings might be different from place to place, they have a consistent color theme that carries across all buildings.  I'm not sure how I feel about this - because it takes away the individuality of each building - and some of their buildings were designed by internationally renowned architects.  I like the individual personality of each building - I feel it reflects the community.

In the meantime, come venture through the library with me!  I found a new tool on my iPad that allows me to write on the pictures.  I've written on some of them, and I've blacked out faces.  (Just in case if you find yourself wondering what the heck is going on in the pictures....)





Reading corner back in the older children's area.










Check out desk straight ahead.  Picture books to the left.  Computers to the right.




Love that long run of shelves!



The carpet is great!  I think I've seen it in other HCL buildings. 



I entered by the check out desk, and turned left.  Wall is on my left - computers to the right, YA ahead.  See the stools on the left just before the open doorway?

THIS is the stools that were up ahead on the left.  Nice laptop bar!


The YA section.  I like the fact that there's a designated eating space right here.  No sneaking food in the stacks, no empty containers of food to find in hidden corners. 



And this is the hallway to the multi-purpose room.


More YA.  I'm very impressed with the size of the YA collection!


STILL in Young Adult.



MORE in the young adult section.



Looking back towards the children's section.  Years ago, the wall that divided the two halves of the building was just past the laptop bar - right where you see the wall jutting out.   AND, there were bookshelves everywhere, literally stuffed everywhere.

No comments:

Post a Comment