Tuesday, December 19, 2017

New Wheels

I shared the sad story of the demise of the van here.



Since then, we've been searching for a new to us car.  There's been a lot of discussion about this.  With oldest child out and on his own, and middle child moving half way across the country, do we really need a van?  When we go on family vacations, we're either going to meet there, or we can rent a van.



So, what kind of a car do we need?  We've got a Civic for great gas mileage, but we also need a car that can haul stuff back and forth.  We have a basement and garage full of my in-laws junk that we're still trying to clean out.  We are also moving kids around.  So, we need something big enough to haul stuff around.



Funny thing is, middle child has been doing a lot of research on cars.  He is looking at buying his own car, so he is basically a walking encyclopedia on cars.  We gave him our parameters on what we were looking for and he gave us a list of cars.



We then went to Car Max with our list of cars.  There were three cars on the lot that met our demands and fell in our price range.  After giving the cars a cursory glance, we quickly narrowed the list down to 2.  Once we took the cars out for a test drive, we found the car for us.



It's a 2015 Honda CRV.



It has 25,000 miles on it.



I'm calling it the Orville.



And it's smack dab in the middle of our price range.



Once we bought it, we took it to our mechanic to give it a once over.  If there was anything wrong with it, I was going to make sure I took it back to Car Max so they could fix it.  (There's a very small window of time to have things fixed once you buy it.  Our mechanic squeezed us in to make certain that he looked at the car before the window was closed.)  The good news is, the car is in tip top shape, and our mechanic gave his thumbs up!



I really like my new car.  Since I only drive 8 miles one way, I drive the CRV.  The Civic goes on the longer journey back and forth with daughter to school.



This raises the question - do I change the name of the blog to "SUV Mom Blog?"  or  "Empty Nest Mom" or "Mini-Van Empty Nester drives a CRV now Blog?"  HAH!  I don't think so!   I'll be keeping the name, but the tag might change.  Since we're almost empty nesters... Does the 20 year old living at home and commuting to college still count? I guess since we're still feeding her, she is technically living at home. 

No comments:

Post a Comment