Wednesday, June 6, 2018

Early Settlers

Missouri River near Leavenworth.
Have you ever thought about the incredible journey that the early settlers made crossing the United States into uncharted territory and settling into hostile lands to make a new home?  I think about it when I read the Little House on the Prairie books by Laura Ingalls Wilder.  I specifically remember reading Laura's descriptions of crossing rivers.  There were no bridges across the rivers at that time.  Instead, the family would drive their wagon into the river.  If the ford was low enough, the horses would pull the wagon across.  If the river was high, the wagon would float, the horses would swim, pulling the wagon behind them, and then they would hope and pray that they would land safely on the other side.
I'm standing in Kansas.  That's Missouri on the other side.
 That came back to me as I was standing on the banks of the Missouri River when we were roaming about Kansas with our middle child.  We were very close to the crossing that Lewis and Clark used in their journey to explore the Louisiana Purchase.  The river was moving swiftly - and it was deep.  Much deeper than it was when we drove by in the winter. 

I was struck by something very akin to terror as I thought about the prospect of driving a wagon full of all my worldly possessions - and my family - into a swiftly moving river and hoping that we'd come out safely on the other side.  I do know there was a river crossing in this area- I just don't know exactly where the crossing was.  Just a little north of here are very high bluffs - so I know that was not the crossing.  This area is where the river widened out - and as you can maybe tell from the pictures, the river bank leads down nicely to the river.  The park on the Kansas side has a fence along the river, and it is near the railroad station, and you can see the footings in the river for an old bridge.  My guess is that there was a ford somewhere near this area. 

I still can't begin to imagine attempting to cross this river in a wagon.  Or on the back of a horse as it swims across the river.  I'm so very, very, very glad that we have bridges.  That beautiful blue bridge across the river in the top picture!

The park in Leavenworth by the Train Station.


No comments:

Post a Comment