Friday, June 15, 2018

Laurel Public Library

View of the front from the side.
When husband and I were first married, we lived in Laurel.  I was teaching at the time, and I remember going to the library to check out books for my class.  I had gone to high school in Fairfax County, Virginia, and our library was a showpiece.  Even though the building was old, it was light, bright, and you could tell that people loved the building.  I went there about once a month to check out books.  When we moved to Laurel, I was expecting the same.  I was disappointed.  The library was dark.  The collection was limited, and I felt terrible about checking out books for my classroom.  Any books I checked out would have seriously impacted what was available for the community.

Laurel has undergone something of a Renaissance in the years since we left.  It is a beautiful city, with so many things to offer to the community.  The top attraction (in my mind) is the library.  Laurel opened a new library a few years ago, and I had the time to go.  The building sits on the footprint of the old building, but that is where the similarities end.  Let me tell you, this is a huge asset to the community!!

I've posted the pictures that I took as I walked in with a sense of wonderment.  All I kept thinking is "This is beautiful!  Oh my gosh, how fantastic!"  Join me as I walk you through the library with me!  Please note, I took many more pictures, but I don't publish pictures with the pictures of people's faces on them.  So, I don't have as many pictures to share as I would like to have.  The good news is, that library is full of people!  It is being well used!

Rain garden in the parking lot.

Inside the front entrance - the adult stacks.

A side note here - I adore those overhead lights!  They are such a nice touch!


In the above picture, I'm standing near the fireplace.  (Yes, gas fireplace with chairs surrounding it.)  I'm looking back towards the front door.  On the left is the circulation desk.  The semi circle drop down lights delineate the circ. desk.  Look at all of that natural light!



Dinosaur footprints leading into the children's area.

A look into the children's area.  Again, look at the natural light!

Outside of the library, on the left is the children's area.  Straight back is the teen section.

Turn around from the picture above this, and there's an ampi-theater.  Do you see those blue circles?  They are part of a splash pad for kids.



Prince George's County Memorial Library System.

Laurel Public Library Website: https://www.pgcmls.info/branch/location/Laurel

No comments:

Post a Comment