Sunday, November 21, 2021

Charlie Brown Thanksgiving

This is one of my all time favorite Thanksgiving specials. I really love the old animation from the 70's. It aired for the first time in 1973, back when I was in Elementary School. Everyone in our class watched it the night before, and that was all we talked about the next day at school. This classic is a part of the triad of holiday classics that I have to watch every year. (It's the Great Pumpkin Charlie Brown and a Charlie Brown Christmas).

Funny story about this special. When I was in college, my roommate was suffering from some severe stomach pains.  I mean they were horrific. I wanted to call an ambulance and get her to the hospital, but she refused to go until after she watched this show.  That's right, she was in excruciating pain and refused to go to the hospital until after the show was over. This was back in the days of broadcast tv with cable - there was no streaming, so it's not like she could have caught it later.  Later would have been next year.

Anyway, it's not like she had appendicitis or anything. Oh wait, she did.

I gave up at the first commercial break and called 9-1-1 over her protests.  They showed up right at the second commercial break and she refused to let them treat her until after the show was over.  So, we all stood there, me and the 2 paramedics, the firemen who responded with the paramedics, and the various other people from our building who wandered by and stuck their heads in to make sure we were okay.  I have never heard so many people heave a sigh of relief at the end of a television show before. The paramedics popped her onto the gurney and I handed her her backpack and promised to call her parents. 

It's been years since this happened, and every year, this moment in my life pops back up into my memory like it was just yesterday.

If this is also a must watch in your holiday catalog, you can stream it on Apple TV.

PBS will be broadcasting it tonight, Nov. 21 at 7:30 locally.

I hope you get a chance to enjoy this classic!



No comments:

Post a Comment