Wednesday, January 25, 2023

Book Review: Mango, Mambo, and Murder

I found this wonderful cozy mystery last week. It's a wonderful series set in Miami.  Miriam Quinones-Smith is a Cuban American Food Anthropologist who moves from New York with her husband to be closer to his family. Within her first month in Miami, she finds herself immersed in a murder mystery that involves not only her best friend, but also a mysterious connection with her husband's family.  Just who is Juliet and what is this mysterious hold she has on everyone?

I really enjoyed reading this story! I love the smart characters, intelligent dialogue, and the quick moving plot.  Having been a young mother struggling to find a crowd to fit into when my kids were young, I identified with Miriam's quest to fit into the social scene. (Granted, she was being pushed into networking... but it was still a story that I could relate to!)

I love that the author has mixed in references to Cuban culture throughout her book.  From teaching her child to be Bi-Lingual, to the food she cooks to the Spanish mixed in throughout the conversations in the book…. There is just so much to appreciate from this Latinx author.

There is also a fascinating sub-plot that tells the story of Miriam's mother-in-law and her relationship with Miriam and the rest of the family. If you have had difficulties getting along with your Mother-in-law, you will relate well to the story. Actually, I think most of us will read that story and think "Wow". And also "I don't want to be that kind of Mother-in-Law in the future." It's a compelling sub-story that makes you think.

This was a fascinating story, with many layers (like ogres and onions!) 

There are two books in the series, and I am looking forward to the third!

Author Website: http://rvreyes.com/

And hey, there are some great recipes in the back of the book for recipes that Miriam made throughout the book.  I'l looking forward to trying the Cuban Style Chicken Fricassee. 

No comments:

Post a Comment