Monday, January 16, 2023

Eggs - HOLY CHICKENS, BATMAN! THEY'RE EXPENSIVE!

What are you doing to save a few "monies" (as my kids used to say) at the store this week?

Our local farmers whose hens are still laying are charging $5/dozen.  They're $7.23/dozen at my local grocery store. Don't get me wrong. I love eggs, but those prices are deal breakers for me.  I'm not willing to pay over $7 for a dozen eggs. 

We've given up on eggs for the time being.  Right now, I'm using an Egg Replacer. I picked up several bags of Egg Replacer several months ago when they went on sale.  BUT, I have been replacing eggs in baking products for years.  

When you decide to replace eggs, the first important thing to remember is that eggs are a binding agent.  You are looking for something to bind your product together. The second thing to remember is that an egg contains 4 TBSP of binding stuff.

Mashed Bananas or applesauce. 

I feel like these make your baked product a little heavier, and that they tend to go bad faster. When I use bananas or applesauce, we either eat it the same day (muffins), or I will cut whatever it is into smaller servings and freeze them. I've also baked things in small loaf pans and then frozen them to eat later.  Whatever works to keep everything safe and usable in the future.

Yogurt - either dairy or non-dairy. 

This makes for a really nice, creamy texture in your baked good.  Just make certain that you are using unflavored, unsweetened yogurt.  Voice of experience here.  Although, the pina colada yogurt did add an interesting twist to the banana bread.

Chia Seeds

1 TBSP Chia seeds + 3 TBSP water = 1 egg.

Stir the chia seeds and water together in a small bowl. Let sit for 5 minutes until a gel forms, then use this in place of eggs.

Can I just say that using Chia Seeds in meatloaf and applesauce is absolutely amazing? They work really, really well as a binding agent!


So, do you use something in place of eggs?  How much are a dozen eggs where you live?

No comments:

Post a Comment