Monday, January 23, 2023

Mom's Little Dog

For Christmas, Mom received a wonderful little robotic dog. 


As her health has continued to deteriorate, she finds herself wishing for things that used to be. One of those things is a dog. She wants a dog.  Her favorite dog of all time was Geraldine.  Geraldine was a Beagle that my parents brought into their life when they got married.  Geraldine was Mom's companion while Dad was in college. Mom worked to support Dad while he went through college. Geraldine kept her company. When I was born, Geraldine kept me company, sleeping under my crib and standing guard while I slept. I don't remember Geraldine, but Mom still loves that dog.

My husband and I don't have a dog. We have a cat. And the very last thing we want to do is take the cat - who hates card rides - for an hour-long drive down to Virginia and then back up again. 

I found this adorable robotic dog at the Alzheimer's Association Store.

It interacts with the patient when they talk - barking, moving its head towards the sound of the voice, opening and closing its eyes, and moving its ears. You can scratch it on the head and it will have some vocalizations and move it's head around. 

As soon as we took the dog out of the box, the first thing Mom did was turn the dog upside down to see if it was a girl or boy.  She decided that "she's a boy, and her name is Benji."            

 Mom loves her little Benji! She sleeps with him. When she wakes up in the middle of the night and can't go back to sleep, little Benji is there with some nudges and makes some wonderful little noises while she pets him until they both fall asleep. 

If you're interested in finding out more about this little dog, you can find the link here:

No comments:

Post a Comment