Monday, July 15, 2013

Just Another Day in Paradise

I spent an interesting morning in the doctor's office.  My DH had to have an MRI, and while I was waiting for him to finish, I spent half an hour in the waiting room, where the real action was taking place.

A couple came in, sat down next to me, and began listening to the story on Cory Monteith's early and unexpected passing.  The husband said to the lady "That's so sad.  When you have demons like that, it's difficult to experience sudden fame.  I wish he'd been able to get counseling when he first started having problems, maybe he'd still be with us."  The wife began to speak, but she was interrupted by an elderly gentleman who came in hauling an oxygen tank behind him, and pushing a walker in front of him.

He sat down in a seat and heaved a deep sigh.  "That's a he**  of a long walk from the parking lot into here.  Old man like me, I could die taking a walk like that."

We smiled at him, and his wife bustled in....

"Have you checked in yet?"  she asked.

"What?  I can't hear you!  I almost died walking across that lobby!  I had to take the elevator by myself."

She got up and checked the sheet to make certain that he had signed in, and she began fussing over him, straightening his walker, and moving it out of the path.  As soon as she turned her back, he moved the walker directly back into the place she had moved it out of.

He moved her purse from the chair that she had placed it on over to the other side of himself.  When she looked confused and asked where her purse had gone he said "It's right over here where you left it.  I think you're getting the Alzheimer's."

The rest of us watched this interesting tango in a fascinated silence.  He would continually undo anything she had done, move her purse, and be as querulous as possible.

After 10 minutes of this, she looked at him in exasperation.

"Did you bring the insurance cards?" she asked.

"Insurance cards?  No, I left them with the lady at the desk downstairs."

Muttering under her breath, she stormed out of the waiting room.

The old gentleman proudly looked around the waiting room, and held up a plastic card.  "Insurance Card!" He gloated, laughing a crazy high pitched laugh.

Anyway, DH came out at the moment in time.  As we were walking through the lobby, we saw his wife, muttering under her breath and fit to be tied, heading back towards the elevators.

 If this is what the Golden Years look like, I'm not sure I want to go there. 
Good thing I'm still only 36 years old...

No comments:

Post a Comment