Wednesday, July 24, 2013

Who-Vians

I love Dr. Who.  The BBC series began a long, long, long time ago (In 1963). 

The series is about a time traveling time lord who journeys through space, time, and universes, righting wrongs, and saving humanity from extinction.

What makes this series so wonderful, and long running, is that the Doctor himself regenerates.  Whenever the actor wants to leave the series, the Doctor is put into a death situation, where the only choice he has to continue living is to regenerate into a new form. (Actor).

So, since the series began, there have been 10 doctors.  Matt Smith is the current doctor, and he is number 11.  He will be leaving the series on Christmas day, and a new Doctor will be coming to town.  Questions and speculation are already abounding over who the next Doctor will be.  To some of us, this is a more important question that the name of the new royal baby.

I became hooked on Dr. Who in 1985, while I was in college.  My room-mate hooked me on the Doctor, and we would sit down and watch it on Saturday afternoons.  (In our college town, it aired on PBS.  I think it was 2 years behind what was actually airing in Britain at the time, but who cares?)

I lost track of the Doctor once I graduated, began working and had a family. 

And then, oldest child came home from college for his first break, raving about "The Doctor".  I questioned him at length and found out that this was the same series I had followed in college, but that the actors were different, the writing and imagination were stupendous, and the special effects were vastly improved.

We went to the library, checked out a DVD, and I was immediately re-hooked.

Okay, it probably doesn't hurt that we were watching one of the episodes with the 10th doctor- David Tennant - and I think he is one of the best looking doctors that we have been offered to date.  No mistake, Matt Smith is a good looking Doctor, but David Tennant is by far, my favorite.

So, I'm about to engage in some Doctor Who silliness....

David Tennant decided he wanted to become an actor at the tender age of 4 after watching an episode of Dr. Who.

One of the many episodes from the 4th series is entitled "The Doctor's Daughter", where the Doctor's DNA is used to make a new human, Jenny.  Jenny is played by Georgia Moffat, the real life daughter of the Fifth Doctor, Peter Davidson.

David Tennant, (the 10th Doctor) is married to Georgia Moffat.  So... he has a Doctor-in-Law?

(Yes, I did just write an entire post with the hopes of getting someone to smile at David Tennant having a Doctor in Law instead of a Father in Law. I really need to have school start up again so I can start subbing!)

Anyway, for your Wednesday entertainment, I've included a couple of links for the Whovians amongst us:

1) The link to the official BBC Dr. Who web page: http://www.bbc.co.uk/doctorwho/classic/
This page contains links to almost everything Dr. Who.

2) This is my favorite link.  It is a skit done by David Tennant and Catherine Tate.  (One of the doctor's companions, Donna Noble.) for Comic Relief:


No comments:

Post a Comment