Monday, July 1, 2013

T-Shirt Quilt, Part 2

I'm continuing to work on Matt's t-shirt quilt.  I first posted about it here: http://mini-van-mom.blogspot.com/2013/06/t-shirt-quilt-part-1.html 
 
These are the steps involved in getting the interface onto the quilt.
 


 


This is the last of the t-shirts.  I'm ironing this down. This time, I have my rotary cutter and self-healing cutting mat.  This is so much easier with the correct tools!





I don't think you can see the markings on the cutting mat, but I do have the left side lines up on the 0" mark, and I have cut along the right side on the 14" mark.




This is the interfacing.  I wish I could tell you which kind to use.  The truth of the matter is, I went to the quilt store, and asked what the best kind of interfacing is for the quilt.  Each t-shirt square must be stabilized with the interfacing.  Otherwise, the t-shirt will shift, and your quilt will end up being lopsided and out of shape, no matter how good a seamstress you are.
 
 

The final step - ironing on the interfacing.  This is the last of my interfacing, and the very last square.  Since I didn't want to go out and buy more interfacing, I pieced together what I had leftover for this last square.  Waste not, want not!  I followed the directions that came with the interfacing to bond this onto the back - or wrong side of the t-shirts.
 

 
 
This is the fabric that I had chosen for the alternating blocks.  Somehow, the t-shirt material really needs to be blocked with cotton fabric to help stabilize the jersey fabric.  I chose this lovely black color.  I think it nicely complements all of the various color t-shirts that I used, it's the same size as the other t-shirt squares, so it will further stabilize the jersey squares.  I know that some people choose to not do this step, or will argue that just the interfacing is enough, but I don't want to take any chances with this.  I want the quilt to last at least through college, preferably longer!  I ironed the squares first, and then cut them down to 14" squares using my rotary cutter, the self-healing mat, and my extra long - extra wide quilter's ruler.  I must admit, this step was much easier when I was using the regular fabric as opposed to t-shirts!  It took about half the time!
 


 
So, I stopped here with a big pile of squares.  The last black square is a little wrinkled in the picture- the cat had been sleeping on it.  I will iron everything again before I start the next step.
 
Next Up:  sewing the blocks together, and the quilt top.


No comments:

Post a Comment