Saturday, August 3, 2013

My Frugal Accomplishments

This week hasn't been full of successes.  It's been a week where we've been out, buying the last of the "stuff" that middle child needs for college.  All in all, it's been an expensive week, but I've done the best I could to cut back as much as I could.

1) The t-shirt quilt. 
I was going to buy batting for the quilt, but an older neighbor of ours is cleaning out her house.  She offered (and I accepted) a roll of batting that is working perfectly in the quilt.
I don't have a special sewing machine that quilts, or a long arm sewing machine. And I'm not willing to pay someone to run my quilt through their machine.  I quilt by hand.  I pulled out my quilting hoop from the basement, and I've been quilting like mad for the last three days.  I've finished three of the 25 squares that make up this quilt.  I'd like to think I'm going to have this done by the first day of school, but I'm not getting the "warm fuzzies" when I think about finishing it on time.

2) The computer.
I was able to find a computer that met the school specifications on sale.  I bought this with my store loyalty card, and I will receive a portion of the purchase price back on a rewards coupon.  I'll use that rewards coupon to buy school supplies as soon as it comes in.

3) School Supplies.
I hit up the back to school sales pretty hard over the summer.  I buy things that are an excellent price, and then store them on a set of shelves in our basement, kind of like our very own version of a school store.  He was able to pull everything he will need to use this fall off of the shelves.  Spirals, pens, pencils, highlighters, notebooks.  That is a relief.  I'll still need to restock the supplies soon, but at least I'll be able to do so as the items go on sale.

4) Cooking from Scratch.
No convenience foods this week, but I've hit up a lot of prepared foods that I made earlier and stored in the freezer.  Veggie Lasagna, Chicken and Rice Casserole, Taco Kits, and Pizza Crusts were all used.  I saved a lot of money by pulling food that I had prepared in advance instead of hitting up a fast food place or buying something quick and easy from the grocery store.  That's why I bother to cook in larger quantities, after all.

5) Salsa.
I've made my first batch of salsa this week.  Unfortunately, only two pints were actually canned.  We ate the rest.  I make my salsa with heirloom tomatoes and other veggies from the farmer's market.  Words just can't describe how GOOD home made salsa is.

6) Art Supplies
This is a huge expense every year.  Youngest child is an artist.  The cost of art supplies can be out of control.  I am always on the prowl for items she is going to need.  This week, we hit the jack pot.  One of the big chain craft stores was offering 20% off art supplies for any student who brought in a student ID.  Not only were we able to take advantage of the discount, many of the needed supplies were on sale.
AND THEN- we stopped into Big Lots to see what they had in stock this week.  Lo and Behold, it was MORE art supplies.  Paints, both acrylic and watercolor, and paintbrushes, were on sale for an unbelievably low price.  We combined this purchase with our store loyalty card. 
Finally, I stopped at a different chain craft store on a whim this week on my way to pick the boys up from camp.  Sketch Books are easily the biggest expense.  I dread buying them, and she always needs at least 3, if not 4, every year.  They are normally $15-$20.  Wouldn't you know, her favorite sketchbooks were on sale for $5 each.  Yes, I was the crazy lady doing the happy dance in aisle 5.
All totaled, we bought a good chunk of her art supplies for this year for less than $50.

7) Air Conditioning
It's been a fairly cool week here in the Mid-Atlantic.  We've been able to keep the a/c off all week.  It seems silly, but the days without the a/c on really, really take money off of the bill.

8) I line dried 3 more loads of laundry.

I've already started planning my route through the back to school sales tomorrow.  There are some incredible deals out there on paper!

No comments:

Post a Comment