Saturday, August 24, 2013

Move In Day

Today was move in day at college for middle child.

We came home from the West Coast last night.  After several glitches which I will describe another day, we finally arrived home last night at 10:30. 

A very quick night's sleep, and we were up again this morning at 7 am. 

Fortunately, middle child had packed everything up before we left on vacation.  Once we were all up and dressed, we pulled all of our suitcases out of the van and then put all of his boxes and clothes into the van.

Unlike many schools, only the freshman moved in today.  Everyone else will move in on Monday.
The school held the cars at the traffic control point, and then would let a car through as another car pulled out, and you were directed to the open parking space.  20 minute unloading is strictly enforced in front of the dorms.  While middle child was checking into his dorm, we unloaded the van under a tree, and then I sat and waited with his stuff while DH moved the van to the designated long term parking area.  As ungainly as this system seems, we only waited 10 minutes to be directed to a space directly in front of son's dorm room.

Moving his stuff in, unpacking, and making his bed took us another 20 minutes.

After he was settled into his room, we went and bought his books.  Fortunately, he is going to the same school as oldest child, and majoring in the same field.  (Mathematics).  We rented many of his textbooks, and oldest child is loaning him a couple of textbooks that he had held onto.

We ate lunch in the dining hall with him, and then waved good-bye and took off. 

One of my cousins texted me this afternoon and asked if leaving him at school and taking off was terribly hard.

"Not really," I replied.  "I think we were both relieved when he was moved in and his uncertainty is over.  He is in his dorm room, and he is happily settled into his new situation."

I know when I went to college, I was relieved when my mother decided that she was done and took off.  It felt like the first time in months that I had been able to relax, and it was the first time I'd ever been able to make my own decisions.  It was an empowering moment for me!

For all of the parents who are sending kids off to college for the first time, or for the third time, I wish all of you lots of peace, lots of happiness, and joy.  Joy for what is to come, and joy for the new challenges all of us are facing- both our kids, and us - who are facing the challenge of empty, or at least smaller, nests.

No comments:

Post a Comment