Friday, August 2, 2013

Freshman Orientation

I went with middle child to his college yesterday and today for course selection and orientation.

The kids were pretty quickly separated from their parents, and taken off by themselves to enjoy time learning about their new school away from their parents.

Sadly, since this is my second child in college, and my second child at the same school, I really didn't want to sit through the parent orientations, but I felt it was my duty to do so.  I wish I had gone ahead and left... it was a rough day.

As the first speaker began, the mother sitting directly behind me began to cry.  Not just little tears, but deep, heaving sobs.  She couldn't deal with the fact that her "baby" was going to be leaving her in three weeks.  She couldn't believe that the school expects the children to be responsible for turning in their assignments on time, and that she couldn't meet with and speak to his professors, since she would be able to give them so much useful information.

Unfortunately, I ended up getting paired with her.  I believe it was unfortunate for her, because I don't see any of this as a great tragedy.  I see it as a wonderful opportunity.

Finally, I couldn't take it any more.  She was telling me how she wouldn't be able to function without him, because he was living on campus - 10 minutes away from home.  She talked about how much danger he was going to be in. So, I finally let her have my thoughts on the subject...

"You do realize that in the eyes of the law, he is an adult.  He is old enough to fight and die for his country.  He is going to college.  He is not joining the Marines and being sent to Afghanistan or Iraq, where every day is a crap shoot, and you won't know if he's safe, or if he's dead.  You don't have to worry about solemn officers showing up at your door telling you that your son has had an accident.  He is going to college to major in Engineering.  For God's sake, be thankful for what you have: a healthy son, going to school ten minutes away from home and him realizing his dreams."

There ended up being a dead silence around us.  I felt like I was in the cone of shame.  She picked up her belongings and walked away from me, and sat down in another corner and started crying again.  The parents sitting around me looked at me, kind of appalled, and kind of bemused, and then someone smiled, and they asked me to join their group.

Maybe not the best way I've ever dealt with a situation, but really... her son is alive and healthy.  She has much to be thankful for.

After that, the rest of the day progressed without incident. 

Middle child and I met up at the end of the day, and we looked at his schedule.  16 hours worth of classes, and ALL of them are on Monday and Wednesday, starting at noon and ending at 8 p.m.  He's working on trying to move some of those classes around now, but so far, he hasn't had any luck.

I do have to mention one more parent incident.

We were sitting in the Q & A session with representatives of every major department on campus.

"I have a question." said one mother: "I think it's for housing, but it probably also involves security."

"On move in day, do I actually have to help her move in, or can I just slow down and push her and all of her stuff out of the van and then not look back?"

No comments:

Post a Comment