Tuesday, August 13, 2013

Sustainability

I have decided that living sustainably is not only good for the environment, it is good for our planet, and it is an easy way to live frugally.

It all began with a water bottle.

I have been trying to drink more water and less soda.  I would buy a water bottle at school, and refill it during the day.  On my way out the door, I would dump it into the recycling bin.

I added up the cost of water bottles at the end of last September, and realized that I had spent over $30 on water bottles.

So, I began to look into my options.  I can't carry glass into a classroom.  The chances of it falling onto a floor, shattering, and injuring a child are pretty high.  I'm not a fan of stainless steel - the mouths are very narrow, I can't get ice cubes inside, and I don't like the taste of water that has been in metal for any length of time.  That left me with plastic.  And so began my search for a BPA free water bottle.  I finally found one with a flip top lid, and a colorful enough design that I wouldn't forget it at the end of a day of subbing.

I've been using this bottle for almost a full year.  I've saved well over $300 on water bottles since then.

Yesterday, I had my greatest Ah-Hah! moment yet.  I found out that I can take my empty water bottle  through security in the airport, and then fill it in the water fountain before I get on the airplane.  I looked at the price of water bottles in the airport after I went through security - $3.50.  That is more than I paid for this bottle!

Good for the planet, good for my wallet.  My water bottle is keeping plastic out of the landfill.  Plastic that is made from an oil by-product.  An oil by-product that costs more to produce than any of us realize.

Do you have a reusable water bottle?


No comments:

Post a Comment