Monday, December 9, 2013

My Accomplishments

Did you get an opportunity to see the last two minutes of the Ravens - Vikings game yesterday?  What a wild last few minutes!  5 touchdowns in the last 2 minutes and 5 seconds of the game.  It was nuts! 

Anyway, that weather was the weather that dominated my day!

We sang the Christmas Cantata at church yesterday morning.  Husband and I checked out the weather and the streets before we left.  We were only supposed to get 1-3 inches of snow.  It was supposed to start at noon... just as we finished singing the second service.

We had an amazing Cantata.  We sang Appalachian Winter by Joseph Martin.  I still have the very last song stuck in my head.  "Children Go Where I Send Thee.."  I'm searching for it on I-tunes now.  It's an amazing piece of music, combining popular carols and traditional spirituals.  I've sung a lot of Cantatas in my time, but this one was my all out favorite one!  I absolutely loved it!

With the arrangement of our sanctuary, we can not see directly outside.  We were standing in the front of the church, looking out towards the Narthex.  The Narthex has a big wall directly behind our sanctuary, and a gathering area off to the right, behind a wall.  On that side, behind the wall, and out of our view, is a window wall.  During the second service, we noticed that all of the ushers were lined up, staring out of the window at the snow.  We started getting a little bit concerned!

After the service was over, we stayed to help clean up the Sanctuary and allow a parishioner with a snow shovel attached to the front of his truck the opportunity to go around the lots a couple of times.  We were astounded when we got out and found that we had 6" of snow on the ground already!

Our normal 10 minute drive home from church took us 30 minutes.  The roads were treacherous, and we drove as slowly as possible.  Our van has a tendency to spin out on snow, so husband was extremely careful.  We had a very visual reminder on the way home as we saw many, many cars that had spun out and were sitting in ditches.

We made it home safe and sound, and then we watched that riot of a game!

Beyond that, I actually did have some other accomplishments this week.

I've stopped trying to spend 15 minutes at a time in the basement.  Instead, I've shifted to filling one big black plastic trash bag a week.  It seems more efficient, and I'm able to notice a more immediate difference.  I'm setting aside some of the nicer toys to list on e-Bay in the coming days to see if I can sell them before Christmas.

I finished another book and actually wrote a book review for my Books for Teens blog. http://librarynut-booksforteens.blogspot.com/  (If you're interested in reading it!)

I've had a blast subbing in the elementary schools!

Daughter took her SAT's over the weekend.  Five hours long, she's glad it's over.  We had thought she'd try another go-round in January, but she's thinking now that she might want to wait and see what her scores are before she tries it again.  She has never been very confident in her Math skills, and she is concerned about her math scores.  I think she'll do better than she thinks she will.  Now, we are waiting with a sense of dread for the final scores.

The cantata at church was over the weekend.  We had a two hour rehearsal on Weds, and another one on Sat.

We had the chance to speak with both boys over the weekend.  Their finals will begin on Weds.  They are both studying hard.  Since both of them have scholarships they need to keep, they are serious about making sure they do well on their finals.

I made dinner from scratch every night this week.

I had oatmeal for lunch at school every day this week.  It's healthy, and it's easy.  I can pack the oatmeal, pecans, and craisins up in a bowl with a lid before I leave for school.  When lunch time rolls around, I can add water and heat it up in the microwave and have a health, quick, inexpensive lunch.

I've had a blast participating in the Advent Photo a Day Challenge.  Trying to think through an image that represents one word related to Christmas each day has been thought provoking.  Some days, I do better than others!

As much as I hate to, I best get moving.  My car is still encased in several inches of snow, topped by a layer of ice, and I've got to get the snow in front of my car cleared so that I can get out and go to work tomorrow.

Stay safe and warm today!


No comments:

Post a Comment