Tuesday, December 31, 2013

A look back at 2013

2013 has, like any year, been full of highs and lows.  I try not to dwell on the lows... it is entirely too easy to get yourself wrapped up in the bad, and focus only on the bad.  Next thing you know, you're wallowing in a pity party, and it takes a whole lot of good to get you out of that bad place.

Reminiscing about the good:

Oldest child continues to thrive in college.  Somehow, he managed to maintain a 4.0 again this semester, meaning his scholarship is in place for one more semester.  Thank you, oldest child!  He found an internship on campus this summer that has turned into a year round job for him.  He is doing actual research in his field, and he is getting paid.  This experience has cemented his interest in continuing on to get his Master's Degree.

Middle child graduated from high school.  He was the captain of his robotics team, and he lead his team to a victory which qualified the team for a trip to the international championships in St. Louis.  He is thriving in college, and loves the challenges of school. 

Youngest child learned to drive this year.  She has yet to get her license, as she is working on getting up the actual behind the wheel drive time required by the State of Maryland before they will issue a full-fledged license.  She finished her Gold Award Project, and submitted all of her paperwork earlier this month.  She will be receiving her Gold Award from Girl Scouts in April.

I finally finished my Master's Degree.  I'm still searching for a job.  Don't get me wrong, I enjoy substitute teaching no end!  It's just that I'd like to actually put that Master's Degree to work!

As a family, we were able to get out to Seattle to attend the wedding of a cousin.  We saw family, and we saw friends we hadn't seen since college.  It was wonderful!

My mother moved over the summer into a new house.  It's a smaller house than the previous house.  The yard is smaller, and everything is on one level.  I'm thrilled that at 83, she's still living on her own, and is able to move and enjoy her new home.  My brother in law built a porch over the side of her house, which covers her entrance door and her trash cans. They had snow and ice last month, and she was able to appreciate the fact that she could get in and out without worrying about the ice!  My brother in law is currently working on a wheelchair ramp for the front of her house, and he is also going to cover that with a roof.  She doesn't need it now, but he wants her to have it in place in case if she ever does need it... then she won't have to wait to have it built.  (Mom did have to move because of health reasons.  She went blind in one eye.  I'm sorry she had to sell her home of 35 years, but she is happy and adjusting well to life in her new home.)

My list goes on...  My husband was furloughed, along with many other people in October.  We were very fortunate in that it was only a furlough, and not a permanent lay-off.  I'm also very thankful that this happened during October, when the weather was nice enough that we didn't have to use the a/c or the heater.

We attempted the food stamp, $35/week/person challenge.  We did very well.  Unfortunately, I think we might have a slight advantage in that we live in the middle of farm country.  Produce stands are plenty out here, and the farmers offer excellent prices since there is no middle man involved. 

I had an emergency mammogram last month.  The good news?  I have cysts.  Lots of cysts.  No cancerous tumors.  The doctor gave me a list of things to change in my diet to try to shrink the cysts and improve my overall health.  I've been working on that list, honest, I have!  No caffeine in over 6 weeks.  I've finally recovered from that, although I'm not sure my family has!

Husband was in a serious auto accident in Feb.  (on Valentine's Day).  While the car was totaled, he was not injured.  He was able to walk away from the accident.  Thank the good lord for modern engineering that allowed the car to collapse around the passenger compartment.  Honda motor corporation, I love you.  Cars can be replaced.  People can't.

I have much to be thankful for this year.

Everyone made it through another year intact.  We've all grown a little older and a little wiser. 

I wish you a happy, healthy, and joyous new year!

-Bettina

No comments:

Post a Comment