Thursday, January 2, 2014

My New Year's Resolutions

These are my big goals for 2014.  I sat down yesterday and thought through many things, and I came up with this list of ten goals to shoot for in the new year.

1) 365 Grateful. 
Have you heard of this?  This is a project where you take one picture each day, every day of something you are grateful for.  You document why you are grateful, or the significance of this picture. 

I have decided that I need to focus on the things in life that I am grateful for every day.  Not just the big things, but the small things, too.  My phone has a camera with it, so I should be able to snap quick pictures as they occur, whenever they occur.

If you'd like to find out more about this project, you can visit their website at: http://365grateful.com/original-365-project

2) Lose 10 pounds. 
Okay, I know that sounds trite, but the doctors say that losing even 10 pounds can make a difference in your overall health.  After my health scare a few weeks ago, I am determined to lose 10 pounds this year.  I need to lose many more than 10 pounds, but every little pound makes a difference.  

3) Run.
 I've walked a lot of 5K's over the years, but I've never actually run one- run the entire distance.  4 years ago, I walked the Marine Corps Marathon 10K.  I finished in 1:55. (That's one hour, 55 minutes.)   The cut off time for the 10K was 2:15.  I beat that time.  This year, I will participate in the 10K.  I'd like to finish much faster, and I'd like to run larger portions of it.  (Although I will NEVER be able to run the 14th street bridge.  That is a wicked, wicked obstacle!)  So, by the end of this year, I would like to RUN one 5K, and walk/run the Marine Corps Marathon 10K.

4) Get out of debt.
I want to make our mortgage go away.  There's only one way to do that... pay up.
We're still working out the numbers, but hopefully we can take a big chunk out of our overall mortgage balance this year.  We're ten years into a thirty year loan.  I'd like to pay that off in the next 5 years, if we can.

5) Finish cleaning out the basement.
I know, I keep listing this as a goal.  I think the only way you could understand the horror of how much stuff is down there is if I were to post a video.  I'm not sure I want to do that! I've gotten a big chunk of it cleaned out this fall.  I'm currently working my way through materials that were left in my basement by the robotics team.  Keep in mind- my son is graduated from the robotics team, and I have no more children on the team.  I really, really need to get that stuff OUT of my basement.  I've thrown out trash, and I'm now sorting through team history.  I've been giving it to the lead mentor of the team as I sort through it all.

6) Finish oldest child's quilt.
I started cutting this for him when he received his Eagle Scout 3 years ago.  I will piece it and quilt it this year.  It would be nice to give it to him in time for his college graduation next summer!

7) Spend more time with my family.

8) Finish writing that book I keep saying I'm going to write. 
Honestly, all I need to do is proof read one more time and add pictures.  What is my problem?  Why do I keep putting this off?

9) Finish the hallway bathroom.
This is a long story for another day.  We are currently saving money so that we can have someone finish this professionally.  It is well beyond our skill set, and probably, we shouldn't have attempted to fix this ourselves.  Oh well, live and learn.

10) Get back into my music.
The last 4 years, I've pulled back from music.  I haven't been able to sing in the choir.  This year, I will get back into choir.  I'm going to start with the church choir. 

For me, music is tantamount to worship.  It is how I spend time with God.  I don't know how or why I let it slip in the first place.


These are my resolutions for 2014.  Will I keep them all?  I would like to think so. 

Do you have any resolutions for the new year?

No comments:

Post a Comment