Monday, January 13, 2014

My Frugal Accomplishments

I'm not sure how much I've actually saved this past week... or how I'll do this week.

All three of our children were born during this week.  One birthday was yesterday, one is tomorrow, and one is Saturday.  All born within 4 years.  Yep, go ahead, think whatever thought it is you are thinking.  I've heard it all before!


As far as Frugal Accomplishments for this week:

We had invested in the Maryland Pre-Paid College Trust when the kids were little.  College tuition is due this month.  Between the scholarships and the pre-paid college trust, we paid out $2,000 for this semester - for both children, combined.  I have to admit, making those payments was horrendous when the kids were younger, but so glad NOW that we did it!

I stopped by the grocery store and found that they had also added a "seconds" shelf in the produce section.  This is where they have veggies that they feel have passed their prime.  I picked up bags of 3 yellow squash, 6 green peppers, and a cabbage for $4.  Tonight, we're having tacos with spicy cole slaw.

We cooked one of the turkeys that we picked up on sale around the holidays.  I have lots and lots of leftovers in my fridge.  Today, I am making a batch of broth from the bones.  (Read my recipe and directions for making broth cubes here: http://mini-van-mom.blogspot.com/2013/06/blog-post.html.)
The broth cubes will be put into the freezer to use later.

We made baked potato soup from scratch.  We bought a 50 pound bag of potatoes at the beginning of the year, and they are starting to sprout!  We are cooking up those potatoes just as fast as we can!  I really don't want to see those potatoes go to waste.  This past week, we've had a baked potato night, and baked potato soup.  We made a huge batch of home fries for breakfast with scrambled eggs Sunday morning. 

We went to the used book store, traded in some old books and picked up some new ones to read.  Daughter found an awesome volume of Sherlock Holmes and one of Edgar Allen Poe.  Husband found a great book about the National Parks.

Have a wonderful week!






No comments:

Post a Comment