Thursday, January 23, 2014

Making Do

We've run out of money before we've run out of month!

In an attempt to keep from charging anything to our credit cards, we've been "making do" with what we have on hand.

It's made for a couple of interesting dinners so far this week.

I made fajitas on Monday night.  We didn't have any flour tortillas, but we did have rice wrappers.  You know, those thin paper wrappers that are used for spring rolls?  We used the rice wrappers to encase the fajitas.  It was a unique Asian-Mexi Fusion.  The taste was interesting, to say the least.

On Tuesday night, I made baked beans.  The recipe calls for ketchup.  We are out of ketchup.  I had a half a bottle of spicy barbecue sauce in the fridge.  I used that in place of the ketchup.  It had a wonderful, spicy kick to it that I really enjoyed.  We'll be using the barbecue sauce for the ketchup from now on.

Last night, I made vegetable soup for dinner.  It was definitely a "clear the crisper" kind of night.  A half a head of red and green cabbage each.  They were cut up into the soup, along with potatoes, an onion and some celery.  I was expecting the worst.  Believe it or not, it was one of the tastier soups I've ever made.  I'm not sure what elevated the taste to sublime... if you've read my recipes before, you know I always add a can of V-8 Juice to my soups.  Last night, I added a can of Ro-Tel Tomatoes too.  Maybe it was the combination of the two flavors?

Tonight, I'm using the left over baked beans for dinner.  I'm going to mash them, then heat them up in a little oil for my version of refried beans.  We're now out of Rice Wrappers, so I might very well have to break down and make flour tortillas from scratch tonight so we can have burritos.  We'll use one of the last jars of salsa that I canned up this summer.

For breakfast, we've been making smoothies with fruits that I froze last year.  However, we're almost out of yogurt, so we will be back to eating oatmeal for breakfast next week.  It's what I have on hand...

Lunch has been sandwiches made from home-made bread.   We've used turkey from the bird I roasted a couple of weeks ago, peanut butter and jelly, and the ham I froze for sandwiches after Christmas.

Good Golly, meals next week are going to be even MORE interesting.  I'll be glad when payday rolls around!

No comments:

Post a Comment