Monday, January 27, 2014

New Glasses

I am now of an age where the MVA requires that I have my eyes checked by a doctor, and have a form signed off that says I had my eyes checked by a doctor, before I am allowed to renew my driver's license.

I was looking at my license the other day and realized that I am up for renewal this summer.  I called my eye doctor to schedule an exam and found out that it has been five years since my last eye exam.  *sigh*.  I've been putting this one off for a while since I know I'm going to need bifocals.  It's gotten so bad over the last few months that I can't wear my glasses in order to read a book, and I find myself taking my glasses off to read forms.

Friday afternoon found me in the optometrists' office.

First came the inevitable forms.

The, the "poufy" air machine that checks for glaucoma.

I was dreading getting my eyes dilated. It was very bright, very sunny, and the reflection of the sun off of the snow was hurting my eyes when I drove around town - and that was before I walked into the office.  Imagine my relief when I found out that they now take retinal pictures!  Cool beans!  In addition to the poufy air machine, there's another machine that takes a picture of the inside of your eye!  Afterwards, I could see my optic nerve, my retina, and the tiny little veins running inside of my eyes.  Oh so very, very amazing!  That is a wonderful use of technology!

Down the hall I went, to sit with the optometrist and get the final adjustments to my prescription.
Which is clearer?  When are they lining up?  What's the smallest line you can read?

Oh, and yes, I do need bifocals.  Damn.  I was hoping I could get away without them.  To be fair, my husband, who is the same age as I am has had bifocals for 5 years now, so I guess I am doing better on that front than he is!

So, out to look at frames.

There's one teeny little problem here.  I need frames for lenses.  In order to see how the frames look on my face, I have to take my glasses off.  With my glasses off, I can't see well enough to see how the frames look on my face.

So, I began texting pictures of the frames on my face to my daughter.  Because I wasn't wearing my glasses, it turns out that I was also texting pictures to my Mom and didn't realize it.

The two of us were carrying on while I tried on frame after frame.  Finally, I sent a text to my daughter that said "They have a pair of frames here with the word "Juicy" stamped into the earpieces.  Seriously, the metal is cut out around the letters.

That's when my Mom found her cell phone and all of the messages.  The response I got back from her was "What are you two doing?"

As I was attempting to take a picture of the earpieces on the frames to send to my Mom to prove what I was talking about, one of the clerks (a friend of mine) snuck up behind me and whispered in my ear  "Having fun yet?"

I tell you, I must have jumped about 20 feet high!

No, I didn't get the "juicy" glasses.

She nixed all of the frames I had picked told me that I had "the worst fashion sense ever", (so very true), and steered me over to another corner of the store where it took us 10 minutes to pick out a new set of frames.  Thank heavens she could see!

I let them convince me to get Progressive Lenses.

They should be in by the end of the week.

I'm looking forward to a snazzy new pair of glasses!

No comments:

Post a Comment