Thursday, December 5, 2013

Tales from the Classroom

I've been subbing a lot over the past two weeks.  It's been a hoot.  The kids are wound up over Thanksgiving and Christmas, and they are boisterous and full of life.

These are some of my highlights from the past few weeks:

Dry Erase Boards:

I do a lot of subbing in Special Education.  I love the children... they are all so amazing.  This particular day, I was subbing in a regular ed. kindergarten class.  I was working with a group of kids at the reading table, and we had just finished a book.  I asked the little girl sitting next to me "Could you please get the dry erase boards for me?"  She looked at me, and with the look that only a 5 year old can give you said, "Seriously?"   I looked into her brown eyes as she started to grin and pointed at the floor on my left side.  Lo and Behold, there were the dry erase boards.

I sighed, and turned to my other side and asked the little boy if he knew where the dry erase markers were.  (When I sub in Special Ed, I pull this particular friend a lot.  He and I know each other fairly well.)  He started laughing as he pointed to the ground on my right side to the basket of dry erase markers and erasers.  I made a silly face at the kids, and he said "That's okay... it's nice seeing you have trouble with something, too!"  At that point, all of us started laughing.

It's not only the Kids:

I was at choir practice last night.  There is a very prim and proper older woman (age 75) who stands in front of me.  Just as our conductor raised his baton, she suddenly turned around and started fanning the air behind her.

"Whoops...Sorry about that... Really spicy lunch today..."

On Marriage:

During bus duty, one of my friends in first grade told me:  "I know who I'm going to marry when I grow up.  She's the most beautiful girl in the world." 

"I'm so happy for you!"  I told him.  "But remember, if you want to get married, first you have to finish high school, graduate from college, and get a job.  THEN you can get married."

"So, the proper order is College, Job, Marriage?"

"Yes."

"But..." at this point his little eyes got really big..."I want to become a doctor.  I have to go to 8 years of doctor school after I finish college before I can get a job.  That's a REALLY LONG time to wait!!!"

What do you say?

During recess, in first grade, (remember, age 6)  one of the little guys comes running over to me and says...

JJ says he doesn't want to die with his underwear on!


No comments:

Post a Comment