Friday, May 2, 2014

Dinner Tonight

I found this recipe on the ACE (The American Council on Exercise) website.  They have a plethora of healthy recipes.  This particular recipe is from their flier, Healthy Cooking on a Budget.  http://www.acefitness.org/acefit/PDF/healthycooking/ACE_HealthyCooking_1_BUDGET.pdf

We made this for dinner earlier this week.  It was so good!

I will say this: we did not have brown rice on hand when I went to make this recipe.  I don't like to run out to buy any one item, so I used the Bob's Red Mill Wild Rice blend that I had sitting on the shelf.  The recipe calls for cooked rice.  Make sure you cook it before you add it, or else you will end up with a boatload of rice!

Brown Rice and Black Bean Enchilada Casserole

5 cups brown rice, cooked
1 can black beans, drained
1 cup corn
2 cups chopped vegetables
1 cup onions, diced
1 12 ounce bottle enchilada sauce
1/2 cup low fat shredded cheese

Preheat oven to 375*.  Mix all ingredients in a large mixing bowl, except for cheese.  Pour mixture into a baking dish.  Bake for 20 minutes.  Remove dish from oven and sprinkle with shredded cheese.  Bake for another 10 minutes or until cheese is melted and serve.


A few more notes:

1) Husband and daughter are allergic to dairy.  No cheese went into our version, it was amazing!

2) I made my own enchilada sauce.  It was so much easier than I was expecting! You can link to the recipe that I used for enchilada sauce here: http://www.gimmesomeoven.com/red-enchilada-sauce/

3) The website for the American Council on Exercise: www.acefitness.org/acefit/PDF/healthycooking/ACE_HealthyCo

4) This was amazing the second day when we served it in warmed corn tortillas!

No comments:

Post a Comment