Tuesday, May 13, 2014

Sorry for the Long Silence

I love my new job.  I love the challenges, and most of all, I love the people. 

I've been there for 6 weeks now. 

Slowly, but surely, I have gotten myself used to the new routine.

Previously, I would wake up early in the morning, get the kid ready for school, send her off, go out for a long walk while the weather was still cool, and then come home and blog.  If I was subbing, I'd skip out on the walk, and most days I'd blog before I went to work.

Now, I have a 40 minute commute.  I get up at 6, and then get the daughter up.  We are out of the door a little before 7.  I drop her off at school on my way out of town.  It's on my way, and I really enjoy spending that little bit of extra time with her.

Most days my commute is 40 minutes.  For some reason, on Fridays, my commute is 30 minutes.  Traffic is always lighter on Fridays.  I think a lot of people telecommute on Fridays.  On really bad days, it can take up to an hour.

I get to work before 8, my official report time.  If I'm more than 15 minutes early, I'll go walk through the labyrinth before work.  (How cool is that?  We have a labyrinth literally right outside the door?)
I work in the library.  It's a great place to be, when you spend your day surrounded by books and the people who love them.

I'm done by noon.

I have finally found the refrigerator, and I now eat my lunch on campus before I leave.  Most days, I eat outside and enjoy the beautiful weather.  If it's really nice, I walk to the end of the business park and back before I leave - the walk is a little bit over a mile long.

On the way home, I run errands, get groceries, etc.

Daughter gets home at 2:30.  Except for the last two weeks, she's had Driver's Ed. and stayed after school until 6.

I then spend some quality time with just the two of us, before starting dinner.

It's wonderful.

Don't get me wrong - I enjoyed subbing.  I loved every single minute of it, and working with the kids.  This is a different challenge, and I am enjoying it immensely.  Even better, I have guaranteed hours, so, I have a guaranteed paycheck.  Nice not to have to rely on people being sick in order to get a day's pay.

And so, the long silence is ending.  When daughter gets home from school, after we've had a chance to catch up on the day, and the absolutely absurd things that have happened, and before I start dinner, I have some time to work on the blog.

I have so many things to share.  Awesome new books I've found.  Observations about the world around me.  New insights into preparing meals for pennies in advance.  Pictures, oh so many pictures.  The list goes on...  If you care to continue to join me, I do have some things to share!

No comments:

Post a Comment