Wednesday, May 14, 2014

The Resilient Gardener

Here's an awesome book:  The Resilient Gardener:  Food Production and Self-Reliance in Uncertain Times, written by Carol Deppe.


We are living in some very uncertain times.  The weather is uncertain, with the result that our food crops for the next year could also be very uncertain.  Massive droughts in California are threatening a huge chunk of the U.S. food chain for the next year. 

In a time when people are becoming concerned about the source of their food: organic or conventionally grown,  GMO or heirloom, and unique dietary challenges facing more and more people, the one way to make certain that you have total control over what is in your diet is to grow your own food.

I was fascinated by the in-depth look at gardening methods.  I am by no means a new gardener, but I learned a lot of new tricks that gave me insight into how I planted my garden, and how I intend to maintain it this summer.

Not only does the author look at the entire garden, she looks at how to garden with special dietary guidelines in mind, and provides recipes for the gluten intolerant.  (HOORAY!  I can't wait to try her corn bread recipe!)

I originally checked this book out at work, and read it through once.  I returned it, and two days later, I found myself pulling it back off the shelf to find out how best to plant and maintain a garden when you have a bad back.  Put it back, pulled it out again a couple days later to find out more about fertilizing with grass clippings.  Put it back on the shelf, and checked it out again earlier this week to research potatoes a little bit more.  I know, those potatoes should already be in the ground... I'm hoping that it's not too late.

If you're interested in gardening, and supporting your family's budget by growing your own food, it's worth checking this book out from the library and giving it a read through. 

No comments:

Post a Comment