Tuesday, May 20, 2014

My Accomplishments this Week

What a week this has been!

We moved one boy's stuff home from college.  They will both be home for a week.  Oldest child will then be moving in with friends for the summer, and he will continue working with his research job on campus.  I still thank God every day that he found this job.  The research he has done has translated into published research, that he has presented at a National Conference.  This is, in turn, helping his in his quest to go to Grad. School.

Middle Child will be home for 3 weeks, until he returns to the camp where he works for the summer.

We cleaned out the carport.  The wood has all been stacked up into the log rack.  From the tree branches that came down over the winter, we have a half cord of wood to start this fall.  The snow shovels were put away, and the rock salt was covered tightly and moved back into the shed.  We got a van load full of trash together off of the carport that went to the dump.

I cleaned out the boys' room.  I am packing up oldest child's stuff.  This week, I put together a box with all of his yearbooks and photo albums.  I found a whole bunch of middle child's paperwork lying on his book shelves and in his drawers.  I took the best of his submitted papers, and put them in plastic page protectors and put them in a binder.  I had a hoot looking at the papers from his Excellence Folder from Middle School!  The work just captured the essence of the boy that he was.  I still see vestiges of that boy in the man he has become, but some of that playfulness hides a little deeper than it used to.

I had some dental work done yesterday.  Ouch.  I had a crown put on.  Not a root canal - thank heavens - just a crown.  My jaw is still sore, but I haven't had any Motrin since early this morning.

We packed several hundred pounds of topsoil up next to the foundation of the house.  Over the 40 years since this house was built, it's settled.  As a result, water is draining towards the house - and into our basement.  We built up the foundation around the house more.  Husband would put down a bag of topsoil, then pound it down again and again until it was as hard as he could pack it.  We're still looking at putting a front porch on the house in order to put the water further away from our house, but we hope we've put that time off a little bit longer, so that we can do it on our terms, not as a knee jerk reaction to the situation.

I knitted a blanket/shawl for my niece for her high school graduation.  I went to my mother's house the Friday before Mother's Day, and left it with my Mom.  She is going to give it to my niece at her graduation party.

I have one other blanket/shawl that I made for one of my kids' friends who is graduating later this month.  I am planning on dropping off her blanket next weekend, just before her graduation party.

I hit up the local thrift stores, in my continuing to search for professional summer clothing.  I found a couple of very nice shirts, but I am still searching for capris.

I managed to lose enough weight that I have gone down one size.  The upside of this is that I have been able to pull out the clothes I had saved "in case" if I managed to lose the weight.  So, a few more shirts have been added back into my wardrobe, as well as one more pair of capris.

We cooked every meal from scratch over this past week.  Have you checked out the prices of a pound of meat lately?  Many of our meals over the last week were vegetarian.  It's great to be able to put together a meal for less than $5 for all of us.

What did you do to save money this week?

No comments:

Post a Comment