Friday, October 24, 2014

Staying Healthy During Cold and Flu Season


There has been another case of Ebola diagnosed in the United States.  This time, with a doctor who had just returned from serving others in Africa.  He called in as soon as he began presenting symptoms and is in isolation.

We've had several cases, and one death from Ebola in the Untied States.

Do you know the saying "if it bleeds, it leads"?

Ebola qualifies under this headline.  Boy, does that disease bleed, and good golly, is there a lot of fear and uncertainty surrounding it.

I think we're missing something, though.

Enterovirus.

Have you heard about this one lately?  It's a disease that's related to polio.  It's not polio, but it's from the same family as polio.

The information about this virus that I can find is limited.  I am quoting here from an article run on Oct. 6, 2014:

594 people in 43 states have been diagnosed with the Enterovirus.

5 children have died.

It primarily affects young children, with a history of asthma.
http://www.vox.com/2014/9/8/6122471/what-we-know-about-the-new-enterovirus-outbreak-virus, accessed 10/24/2014.


The Flu

It happens every year.  The flu comes around, sickening people.  How many people?

Number of Americans hospitalized every year with the flu?  200,000.

Number of people in the U.S. who die from the flue each year?  3,000 - 49,000

Source: http://www.webmd.com/cold-and-flu/flu-statistics, accessed 10/24/2014.


We tend to forget in this day and age of modern medical miracles that viruses can and do prove deadly every day.  We expect to go into a hospital and have someone "fix" everything.

While I in no way intend to minimize the threat from a disease like Ebola- that left untreated could devastate an entire nation, I do want to stress some very important things here that apply ALL of the time.   Things that can make a difference in our overall health every single day. 

  • Wash hands often with soap and water for 20 seconds. See Handwashing: Clean Hands Save Lives.
  • Avoid touching eyes, nose and mouth with unwashed hands.
  • Avoid close contact such as kissing, hugging, and sharing cups or eating utensils with people who are sick.
  • Cover your coughs and sneezes with a tissue or shirt sleeve, not your hands.
  • Clean and disinfect frequently touched surfaces, such as toys and doorknobs, especially if someone is sick.
  • Stay home when you are sick.
Source: http://www.cdc.gov/non-polio-enterovirus/about/ev-d68.html, accessed 10/24/2014.


The key you need to remember here is that the Flu, Ebola, and Entovirus is that they are all viruses.

We have antibiotics to fight off bacterial infections.  Antibiotics don't work against viruses.

However, the very nature of viruses- constantly growing and changing- means that developing a vaccine for them is impossible.  Yes, we can get flu shots every year, but the vaccine makers are taking their best guess as to what flu germs will be out there.  If you choose to get a flu shot, you are only immune from the strains that are in that year's vaccine mix.

I would like to add my own personal thoughts here:

1) I am a bit of a nut about germs.  When I use any public bathroom, I always wash my hands.  If I have to turn the water handles on and off with my hands, I will turn the handles OFF with a paper towel in my hands.  I also use that same paper towel to open the door handle to get out.  Remember that part about diseases spreading through bodily fluids?  It's a little disturbing to realize how many people don't wash their hands when they finish using the bathroom - and they've been touching bodily fluids.... eewww....  Okay, if my bathroom doesn't have paper towels, how do I open the door?  No, I don't stand inside the door, waiting for someone to come in and let me out!  If I have on long sleeves, I will pull my hand inside of my sleeve and use my shirt to open the door.  I've also used the hem of a shirt, and sometimes, I've used an item I'm holding in my hand to open the door.  (Thankfully, most restrooms use towels.)

2) Stay hydrated.  Make sure you drink enough water.  Your body is a well oiled machine, and water helps to keep that machine running.  Make certain you are getting enough water every day.

3) Wash the cart handles at any store.  Either use the wipes provided at the store - pick up the wipe before you pick up the cart, or wear a pair of gloves that can be tossed into the washing machine when you get home.  (Again, I am a little bit of a germaphobe.)  I have also been known to carry wipes in my purse.

4) Alcohol based cleaners work - but there's a caveat.  Unless if you use something to wipe the alcohol off of your hands, you are just moving the germs around.  So, if you plan on using an alcohol based cleaner, make certain you have a way to clean that off of your hands when you are finished.


As of now, I personally don't think Ebola is the public health threat in the United States that it is in Africa.  I am keeping a watchful eye on the situation, though. 

In the meantime, I am staying hydrated, eating right, and getting a walk in every day.  I am practicing my good hygiene habits - especially since I'm spending so much time in the hospital with my Mom.  The best place in the world to get sick is a hospital.  Believe me, I am taking every last one of these suggestions very, very seriously.

Stay healthy, my friends!



No comments:

Post a Comment