Thursday, January 1, 2015

My Resolutions for 2015

Last year, I accomplished over half of the resolutions I put forward.  I kept a list here, on my blog, and I checked back monthly.  Why?  Because by reminding myself every month of my list, I found that I did a better job of keeping myself on track.

So, I present my list of resolutions for 2015.  A few of them are carryovers from last year.  *sigh*.  I still need to accomplish them.

1) Exercise More.  
Last year, I set the goal of running a 5K by the end of the year.  365 days later, full of excuses and reasons, I did NOT run.  So, this year, I have the goal of exercising more.  5 out of 7 days a week, I will get at least 30 minutes of exercise.  I will walk, swim, hike, or bike, but I will find a way to get 30 minutes of exercise.  I know that should be 60 minutes, but I really want to set a small, easily attainable goal.

2) Lose 10 pounds.
Last year, I set this goal and lost 20 pounds.  I gained 2 of them back over the holidays, which really isn't bad!  This year's goal is to lose another 10 pounds.

3) Remodel the Hall Bathroom.
This is a repeat from last year.

4) Finish oldest child's quilt.
Another repeat from last year.  I have to top pieced, and the bottom cut to size.  I need to get the batting and pin the entire shebang together and start quilting it.  Goal: have it finished for his graduation in May.

5) Clean and organize the Family Room in the basement.

6) Cut back on the time I spend on Social Media.
I spend entirely too much time on Social Media over the course of the day, and it is beginning to cut into my real life.  WHY AM I DOING THIS???  I am only going to check my Social Media accounts once per day - at lunchtime, when I get home from work.  I never needed social media before now, and only in the last 5 years did I begin using social media.  In the last year- WHAM!  I seem to have let it take over my life.

7) Read 75 books this year.
Kind of a nifty thought, isn't it?  I began a career in a new field this year, and I do need to read more in my field than I have been.  I also keep a blog of young adult literature.  With my return to a "normal" (read not substitute teaching) I have not been keeping that blog as updated as I would like.  This year, I want to return to reading more YA literature and reviewing it on my blog.   Actually, maybe I should also think about blogging the books I read for work on a separate blog.  It would help keep me on track!

8) Get out of debt.
I think this dream belongs to all of us, doesn't it?  No mortgage, no credit card bills, no car payments. With most of our credit cards having been compromised last year, we skipped over to a mostly cash based system and are working on paying off debts from credit cards and from husband's car accident- all while meeting college expenses for the kids.  Can it be done?  We paid off one card completely last week.  Still more debt to go, but I really don't like having debt.

9) Spend more time with my family.
Always a priority, and it gets harder and harder as the kids go off to college and get lives of their own.

10)  365 Grateful
I will continue to find a way to be thankful for the things I have.  There are a lot of awful things that happen, but I will focus on the positive.  You can lose yourself in negativity.

11) Replace the car that was totaled.
It needs to be done, even in the midst of paying off loans, a bathroom that needs to be remodeled, and college expenses.  Our Civic has 225,000 miles on it.  It's a great car, and we keep up to date on the maintenance, but by God, do we need to make certain we have a back up plan!  The van doesn't have nearly as many miles on it, but putting gas in that behemoth is expensive. 

12) I will maintain my friendships.
Each week, I am going to call, write, or get together with a friend.  It's too easy to let friendships fall away as we keep busy in our own lives.  I need to make certain that I keep in touch with these wonderful people.  Facebook helps some- I know a little of what is going on with them, and we do chat a lot together.  But nothing, no nothing compares to sitting down face to face and talking and laughing with each other.  Most of my friends are at the same place I am in my life now- having children in high school and headed off to college. 

13) Have a few more adventures this year.
Within the budget, of course. 

14) Craft More
I used to craft a lot.  I enjoy working with my fingers and hands.  For some reason, that has fallen by the wayside this year.  (Look at goal #4 - finishing oldest child's quilt.)  I will finish one craft project- from beginning to end, each month. 

This ought to be fun!  I don't know how many of these I'll actually manage to accomplish this year, but I'm looking forward to trying!

Seriously, read 75 books AND finish 12 craft projects this year?  Am I nuts?

No comments:

Post a Comment