Monday, January 26, 2015

Some Accomplishments

It's been a few days since I've posted.  Sorry about that.  Daughter is busy applying for scholarships left and right - and doing so requires access to the computer.  Since we only have one computer at home, we've been letting her use that one as much as she needs.  Here's hoping that at least one of them comes back with something!

I did manage to get oldest son's quilt pinned last week.  I am working on another project at the moment that I hope to have finished by the end of the week.  His quilt will be the next up.  His graduation from college is in May - 4 years after the date I had intended to finish it.  Even worse?  I still need to make one for daughter and haven't even found the fabric for hers yet.  *sigh*.  I let myself get too far behind on these projects.

I always plan our dinner menu out a week in advance, make a list, and shop accordingly.  Unfortunately, I have not been as diligent about working on lunch and breakfast menus.  I went grocery shopping Saturday evening.  Sunday afternoon, I set about preparing quick, easy, little thought required breakfasts and lunches.

For breakfast, I prepared my favorite oatmeal in single serve size mason jars.  Into each jar, I placed 1/2 cup of oatmeal, brown sugar and cinnamon, chopped pecans, and chopped dried cranberries and dried apples.  It took me 5 minutes- and most of that time was spent in rough chopping the apples and cranberries.

I also cut up veggies to use in scrambled eggs.  Into single serving size containers, I added some baby kale, mushrooms, bell pepper, and red onion.  So, first thing in the morning, all I have to do is add the chopped veggies to a swirl of olive oil and saute them before adding eggs.  An extra serving of veggies with no effort!

Five containers of salad in a jar were made and stored for lunch.  This week's salads feature some baby kale, red onions, corn kernels, and frozen peas.

Since I was in my Martha Stewart mode, I went ahead and made a double batch of granola and peanut butter balls.  Both of these are great snacks, full of protein that will hold me over until meal time without causing a sugar crash.  One of my favorite snacks is granola with yogurt. 

Hopefully, the handy snacks, healthy breakfasts, and the knowledge that I have a prepared lunch on hand will cut down on my fast food and snacking binges when I let myself get too hungry.  That never ends well, as I find myself in a funk of sugar highs and sugar crashes when that happens.

As I write this, the North East Corridor of the United States is under a blizzard warning.  They are expecting up to 36 inches of snow in the next day or so.  If you live in that area, stay safe!
(We are very fortunate to be missing this one- less than 200 miles from the blizzard line to our house.  That's a very close call.)

No comments:

Post a Comment