Thursday, December 24, 2015

Merry, Merry Christmas!

I'm in the lull before I begin making dinner, so I thought I'd sit down and reflect upon the past few days.

I finally hit up the grocery store late Monday night.  There were a lot of people there, but fortunately, everything was well stocked, and the lines moved quickly.  I am cooking tonight for my family, and then tomorrow my husband will go and pick up his mom, and I will cook another Christmas dinner.  I spent yesterday prepping everything that I could.  Veggies have been sliced, lettuce has been washed and torn, dressings have been made and are sitting in jars in the fridge.  I was exhausted last night, but today, all I will have to do is put things in pots and pans to heat and bake.  The kitchen is mostly cleaned - at least the food prep side of the kitchen.  I need to do a little more work on the kitchen table, and set out the candles before dinner tonight.

Daughter is working retail this break.  She's worked 7.5 hours a day every day since Saturday.  I just dropped her off a little while ago, and the parking lot was an absolute madhouse.  After working the last 6 days, she has the next 3 off of work, and is looking forward to sleeping late and not listening to people complain.

The boys have been baking. We are fully stocked with fudge, Tailor's Buttons, Ginger Snaps, Chocolate Chip cookies, and cake.  Right now, they are both working on something on their computers.  I'm not sure what exactly they are working on, but they're not trashing my kitchen with another cooking experiment.

It's an unbelievable 72*  outside right now.  I've lived in the Mid-Atlantic for most of my life - 37 years in February - and I don't remember ever seeing a Christmas this warm.  I don't know what this bodes for the rest of the winter.  Maybe warm?  Maybe cold?  I don't know, but I really want a good hard freeze with temps below 32 for several weeks to kill off the bugs.  It's so warm outside that we are thinking of having a fire in the fire pit tomorrow if it stops raining!

Later tonight we're headed to church.  Since daughter is working until 7, and we will need to eat dinner, it looks like we're headed to the midnight services.  That should be great fun!  I"ll need to take a nap before then to make certain that I don't fall asleep during Communion!

Wherever you are today, I pray for peace in your world.  I pray that you are able to spend your day with family, be it the ones you were born with or the ones you chose.  I pray that we all learn to be a little bit more tolerant of each other - and learn to celebrate our differences by embracing our similiarities.

Joy to the World!  And on Earth, peace, and good will to all people.

-Bettina

No comments:

Post a Comment