Tuesday, December 1, 2015

Book Review: The New American Herbal

I work in an academic library.  One of the subjects that we teach at our school is herbs.  It's a subject that I think most of us are curious about - what are herbs, and how can we use them to benefit us?  I know I find the subject to be fascinating.  Herbs were used as medicine for centuries before modern medicine came along.  These herbs still have medicinal properties that we can benefit from today.

The New American Herbal is an A - Z Guide of herbs that are common in the United States today.  Each herb is listed, with the history of the herb, and how it is commonly used.  In a sidebar are listed the category, origin, type, height, other names and varieties, how to grow, season, and safety.  Recipes are included throughout the book for using herbs in every day cooking.

Every herb has an accompanying full color picture.  The vibrant, full color pictures will allow the user to identify herbs found in the wild, as well as random herbs that volunteer in the garden. The pictorial guide alone sold me on the book. 

The beginning chapter of the book is about Herb Basics:  Growing Herbs, Garden Projects, Herbal Preparations, Kitchen Projects, and Specialty Herbs.  In just a few short pages, the reader is given enough of a taste of how to grow and use herbs that they will be empowered to start growing and using herbs more often than they already do.

I checked out this book from the library.  After reading the book, I am adding this to my personal library.  The information contained within these pages is invaluable.  (I also like the fact that this book will be on my shelves, and I can pull it off whenever I need it - I don't need to haul out my cell phone or a computer.)

No comments:

Post a Comment