Monday, January 25, 2016

Blizzard 2016

It's Monday and my internet is back up and running!



It's day 4 - and the clean up continues.  Our driveway is cleared.  We are digging the cars out today.  I don't know if we'll be in to work tomorrow, but at least our cars can dry off.  I really don't want to leave the snow on the cars for one more day - we'll have to chip through a layer of ice to get into the cars if we wait much longer.  The snowplows came through our neighborhood at 2:30 this morning, and then they spent the next several hours not only cleaning out the snow, but widening the paths.  I got up to watch for a while, and was surprised to see that the driver of the big earth mover not only widened the road, but went to the trouble of clearing out the snow walls from the bottom of the driveways that had already been cleared.  In the picture above, you can see the earth mover, and one of the county maintenance trucks.  The big machine broke down around 7, and the maintenance truck showed up and worked on the rig for about half an hour before it got up and running again.  I'm glad that the people showed up in the picture for scale.  It gives you an idea of how huge the snow piles are. 

As of today, we are still under a state of emergency.  If you hang out on social media at all, people are whining and complaining because they're snowed in, they don't have enough food, they're bored, it's not fair, the snow removal trucks are moving too slow... this list goes on and on.  Sad thing is, the warnings were out for over a week that this was going to be an ugly storm, and the dig out was going to be arduous.  It's not like they didn't know that they needed to have supplies to be in place for a week.  The governor mentioned last Thursday to make certain you had enough supplies to be on your own for a week.  Planning, people, planning. 



Sunset in my neighborhood last night.  Look at that beautiful, clear sky!  It was a beautiful sunset!  At this point in time, our street had not yet been cleared.
Tiger

We've been hanging in there.  The house is cleaner that it has been in a long while.  Not only is the basement cleaner, so is the kitchen.  I've been able to sort through stuff that I've been wanting to sort through for a while now.  Laundry has been DONE.  I mean, really done.  All of the laundry.  I'm never this caught up on my laundry!  If I'm snowbound for much longer, I'm going to be hitting up the scrapbook pile earlier than I had planned on!  I need to assess how far behind I am and work out a plan to get caught up this year. 

We've baked a lot over the past couple of days.  Pumpkin muffins - made with pumpkin from my half bushel that I bought earlier this fall.  Chocolate Chip cookies, and gluten free bread.  Yum!  I have a pot roast in the oven for dinner tonight, and last night, I made a big batch of porcupine meatballs.  It's been a long time since I've had porcupine meatballs, and they were so very, very good.

As of now, Maryland is still under a State of Emergency.  State Government is closed, as is the Federal Government, and all of the school systems.  The road crews are still struggling to get all of the highways open, and the side streets and back roads are an absolute mess.  I'm certain that you heard the Governor closed down I-70 and 270 on Saturday night due to accidents.  This is the first time I remember the highways being shut down in Maryland in the 25 years that I've lived here.

I'm more than a little concerned about flooding.  Our temps are supposed to go way up into the 50's mid-week.  If it gets that high, and all of this snow melts at once, we are going to have some very ugly flooding.  So glad I live at the top of a hill!









No comments:

Post a Comment