Tuesday, January 26, 2016

Schlow Center Region Library

While we were roaming around State College, PA in the fall, I stopped in at the public library.  This gorgeous building was new in 2005.  As a result, the building is wired for the newest, latest, and greatest technologies, and is easily accessible.  Located on a prime corner lot just a few short blocks from the main campus of Penn State, the library is conveniently (in my opinion) located kitty-corner from several amazing restaurants and coffee shops.

Come and roam through the stacks with me...



The children's section of the library.  Look at all of those beautiful windows!  The windows overlook the street below and add a lot of bright natural light to the space.  I love the low bookshelves. 
(I also love the little pink tutu off to the right.)




Having done my own not-so-glamorous book displays over the years, I always am in awe of displays that really rock - drawing your attention to the display and the books.  This particular display highlights the works of the speakers who will be coming in to speak at their library this year.


I've heard about this concept, but never seen it.  Our libraries don't offer this service.  These are electronic readers that are pre-loaded with selected books.  If anyone has used one of these, I'd love to know your thoughts.  (Can you imagine the overdue fines or lost materials fees for this?)






A reading nook for the grown ups.  I tell you, if I were a Penn State student, I'd load up my books and laptop and come down here to study, sitting in my eyrie over the street.  Looking down on my problems from lofty heights, I could accomplish anything.



I love the color scheme, and the woodwork on the walls. 



Something you don't see all that often in public libraries anymore.  Paper copies of periodicals.


The back of the fiction section, looking towards the computers and the entrance - see the glassed in wall in the middle left?  Those are the stairs up from the street level entrance.




This tickled me.  I've set books aside for book discussion groups before, but usually we just have a boatload of books set aside on a shelf behind a desk somewhere.  The patron needs to know to ask for the books, or needs to know who to contact in order to get the books set aside for a discussion group.  I love this!  It's a book group in a bag!  One person can get all of the books, so the next time your book group meets, you can collect the books from the current discussion and hand out the books for the next discussion. What a great idea!  (Note that warning on the tag- "Please count all pieces before returning, you will be charged full replacement cost".  That's the cost of all of the books in the bag, NOT just the one that's missing.)

Gorgeous little library!


Website for the Schlow Center Region Library: https://www.schlowlibrary.org/

No comments:

Post a Comment