Tuesday, January 5, 2016

Changing the Name of the Blog

While we were eating dinner over the weekend, I announced to my family that I was thinking of snazzing up the name of my blog.  Maybe not changing the name of the blog itself, but possibly the tag line underneath of my blog.  It currently reads: Rambles about my attempts to herd cats, make a house into a home, craft, and find the joy in everyday things.

"I am thinking about changing it to read "Thoughts on the art of being a Domestic Goddess."

There was a simultaneous snort of derision from around the table.

"What?" I demanded.  "I am the real deal!  I can cook, clean, do laundry, and raised 3 marvelous children.  I grocery shop, plan meals, hold down a job - I am the ninth wonder of the world."

"Right," said daughter.  "Did you forget the time you set my cake on fire two hours before my 13th birthday party?  We were expecting guests in 2 hours, it was the middle of January, and you had every single window in the house open, with fans blowing in each one trying to get the smoke out before anyone actually showed up at the door.  I'll never forget the sight of the flaming cake that you tossed out of the back door and into the pile of snow in the back yard.  Wow, did that sizzle and pop."

"That was a one time thing." I protested.

"Don't forget that when we were first married, you were on a first name basis with the fire captains of all three shifts of the local fire department because we set the smoke detectors in the apartment building off so many times."

"That's been over 20 years..."

"And do you remember the time when you made a peanut butter sauce to go over rice noodles.  The dog wouldn't even eat those."

"The sugar cookies that the ducks wouldn't touch."

"The bread that never rose because you forgot to proof your yeast."

"That time you tried to make Baked Alaska and the ice cream melted inside of the oven and not only smoked up the house, it rolled out of the oven door and all over the floor."

"The time you fixed the toilet and ended up with the parts all over the living room floor - because you couldn't figure out how to re-seat the tank."

"Now wait a minute, I would have gotten that tank back on if I'd had another half hour before you woke up from your naps."

"Oh, and let's not forget WHY we're eating dinner out tonight.  You were making dinner, and you managed to set the onions in the pan on fire instead of just browning them.  I mean really, Mom..."

"This is what I mean.  This takes TRUE talent.  Anyone can saute onions, but to set them on fire?  While cooking them over low heat?  THAT is a feat that can't be duplicated by many people.  I am a true Domestic Goddess.  Other people only pretend that they want to be housewives who can do it all.  Not only have I done it all, but I have FAILED more often than most, and I openly admit it.  How many other people have failed at these simple tasks?  Not many, I tell you.  I am a LEGEND in my own house.  I am truly a divine inspiration to those around me."

And I swear, I heard one of the kids mutter "A divine inspiration of what NOT to do...."

I tell you, it's hard to pull off this kind of fabulosity on a daily basis.  But I struggle through and fabulous on.  It's what I do!  

Musings on the art of being a Domestic Goddess.... It has a certain pretentiousness about it, doesn't it?

No comments:

Post a Comment