Tuesday, April 14, 2015

Book Review: These Are The Voyages: TOS, SEASON 2

Cushman, Marc.  These Are the Voyages: TOS SEASON 2. 2014. Jacobs Brown Press, Los Angeles, CA. 


Softcover: $28.70.  ISBN: 978-0-982381-5-1.

I admit, I am a Trekkie.  Star Trek was on the air when I was very little.  We're talking 2 and 3 years old.  I have some very hazy memories of watching Star Trek - with my Dad.  (I also remember watching original Dr. Who, Monty Python, and the very first episodes of Sesame Street.  My Dad loved PBS.)

I found this book at my local library on the display table for Leonard Nimoy.

This fascinating, in depth book gives you a look at every single episode of the season, from the script development, to the budget, to who the guest stars were, and their thoughts about their episode.

No detail is too small - from contract negotiations with Nimoy to the ins and outs of the relationship between Gene Rodenberry and the Studio Execs.  Gene Rodenberry and Robert Justman shared items with the author that have never been seen before by the general public, revealing a complete picture of the production of one of the most enduring American television series.

Originally, DesiLu studios produced Star Trek.  What happened to DesiLu?  Did Lucy sell the studios?  Did she make a profit?  Why did she sell the studios? You can find out more about the sale, and the impact the sale had upon Star Trek in the book.

The icing on the cake are the pictures.  Behind the scenes pictures of the filming of Star Trek, and the original NBC publicity photos, as well as the TV Guide promo shots and pictures from cut film.  OH, they made this Trekkie so very, very happy!  What a great book!  I enjoyed every single minute of this book!

Be forewarned, this 600+ page book is addictive, and you will find yourself pulled into a time, long ago!

I love this book!  I must read the other books in the series!


No comments:

Post a Comment