Wednesday, April 22, 2015

Online Streaming Services

For Christmas, we got ourselves a subscription to Netflix.  We have never had cable, we've always just made do with whatever local channels we could get through our antennae.

However, with the quality of network news and programming deteriorating at a rapid pace, we have been streaming things more and more.  We pick up our favorite television shows online the day after they air.  We've also starting watching the news through the BBC.  Have you watched BBC news?  It's a very different spin on what is happening in the world than what we are getting from our big 3 networks here in the states.  If you care at all about what is going on in the world, it is worth taking the time to follow the BBC.

So, back to my original point.  We got ourselves a Netflix subscription. I am paying for screens for us and for the college age kids.  They are able to access Netflix at school, which is nice for them.  Televisions in common areas of dorms are a thing of the past, and tv antennaes and cable connections are non-existent.  However, wi-fi and wired network connections are common.  So, we finally broke down and subscribed to Netflix.

Let me tell you, as someone who really hasn't watched that much television in over 20 years while we were raising our children, this is huge!

I've been catching up on old shows that I didn't see the first time around, and rewatching some of my favorites.  (Emergency, anyone? I thought Randolph Mantooth was good looking back in the day.  Looking back, it's good to know my instincts have always been good!)

I've watched the original Star Trek, Firefly, Buffy the Vampire Slayer, and numerous movies old and new.

But I think my favorite find of all has been the BBC shows on Netflix.

Broadchurch
Doctor Who
Merlin
Torch Wood

And the list goes on. 

BBC's dramas have always been a step above ours.  I enjoy them no end.  The acting is superb.  Many of their actors are well known on both sides of the pond.

Right now, I am enjoying Merlin.  Based upon the old Arthur legends, this series is smart, funny, and well written.  There are several twists upon the old Arthur legends that give the traditional tales a modern edge that will appeal to viewers.  The costuming and pageantry is phenomenal, of course!  Excellent, excellent drama.

And then, there's House of Cards. 
Originally written by a British Author back during Margaret Thatcher's tour of duty, it was then produced as a BBC series for television.  (Excellent on the BBC, although US audiences aren't quite as knowledgeable about the ins and outs of British politics.)  The Netflix version has been updated and tweaked to reflect U.S. Politics.  Powerfully written, this series will keep you on your toes.  Once you get hooked on it, you'll be so upset that you've got to wait until season 4 is released.  As well as torn.  Do I go ahead and read the books?  Or do I wait for the Netflix version?  Of course, the book would reflect the British version.  No Frank Underwood.  Good golly, I've never been very good at waiting.  Patience is a virtue, a virtue that I do not possess in large quantities. 

Is it frugal to pay a little over $10 for a streaming service?  Considering that we were easily spending that much per month on Redbox Rentals and overdue fees for movies from the library (4 day lending period) it truly is worth the money.  It's significantly less than cable or satellite. 

Since my little chickies are flying the nest, the husband and I are no longer going to be tied up 5 evenings out of 7 with their activities.  We'll be watching more Netflix for a while.  

You do realize, I'm saying this now. In all honesty, when the kids are all gone, watching television is going to be the LAST thing we are going to want to do with our new found freedom!

No comments:

Post a Comment