Tuesday, September 22, 2015

My New Life Philosophy

I've had an interesting weekend.  On Friday, I was to have lunch with a friend.  We set a meeting time
at noon.  I sat and I waited.  And I waited.  45 minutes after I showed up, she finally came rambling in.  I had already eaten lunch, and was debating leaving when she walked in.  No apologies were made just a statement: I was running late.  You know, that lack of respect for my time, and for me, bothers me a lot.  My time is worth something.  Consideration asks that if you know you consistently run late, then go ahead and set a later meeting time.  I bust my behind to get where you are on time - and you can't be bothered to be there within a few minutes of our agreed upon time?  Or even to text me and let me know you're running late?

I met up with another friend on Saturday while running errands.  In our brief, 30 minute sit down at Panera, she spent the entire time telling me how much better her kids are than mine, and how my kids could be doing better than they are, and then began passing along some "tidbits" about how other kids that went to school with our kids are failing or struggling.  I mumbled something along the lines of "what a shame" and then told her I had to leave.

And on Sunday.  I received an e-mail from an acquaintance, telling me how everything I was doing with the Prayer Shawl ministry at church was wrong.  Keep in mind, I took over this ministry when this acquaintance had to stop because of her life circumstances.  Since I've taken it over, I haven't done much to shake things up, but I recently sent out an e-mail requesting that lap blankets be made big enough to cover up people's "business" when they sit down in a chair while wearing a hospital gown.  I also asked that actual shawls be made large enough to keep people warm, and not just cover their shoulders.  This led to a 10 paragraph e-mail last night, telling me how wrong I was, how I was overstepping my bounds, and how thoughtless I am being, blah, blah, blah.

Monday at lunch, I opened my Facebook account, and there, at the top of my page, was this gem that was posted by Anita Renfroe.  I believe that I will be adopting this as my new life philosophy. 

I'll deal with my own unique situations in my own unique way.  In the meantime, I am going to reevaluate some things about my life and myself.

No comments:

Post a Comment