Thursday, September 24, 2015

New York City Central Library

My phone is quickly losing memory space.  In an attempt to keep my 4 year old phone hanging in for a little bit longer, I've been clearing out the pictures.  I have stored some on Shutterfly.  I was attempting to upload many of them to Flickr, but the app quit working (not enough memory) so I had to stop.  So, before I delete the pictures from my phone, I want to share them here...

Last spring, when daughter was looking at colleges, we looked at a few that were on her list in New York City.  While we were there, we filled a long time dream of mine - to see the New York Central Library, and hang out with the stone lions.  (Would this be a bucket list item?  It's not on the official list, but it has been something I've wanted to do for a long time.)

It turns out that the stone lions are huge, and difficult to get next to.  I don't know why I thought they would be small?  They are gorgeous, and I love the fact that they guard the entrance to the grand library.  (It is just down the street from Grand Central Station!)

I believe that most of the collection of this library is housed across the street in the very modern, very sleek library branch that I didn't visit and didn't take pictures of.  It would have ruined my architectural rapture of the old library building!   I think much of the library has turned over to administrative office for the library system, BUT, the public is allowed to roam through the gorgeous public spaces and the reading room is still open.  OMG - let me say that the right way - OH MY GOD!! That reading room is gorgeous!



Isn't he magnificent?



Look at this gorgeous marble staircase.  It reminds me of the architecture in the U.S. Capital Building.



The ceiling.  Seriously, where do you find public libraries like this today?



The reading room.



Look at those gorgeous windows with all of that natural light.


I think I need a lamp like this....






The view from inside the front doors to the outside.

THIS is an Information Desk!  It looks a little imposing and formidable, doesn't it?  The trend in public libraries has been to go towards more "approachable" information desks.  But still.... it's a fabulous desk, isn't it?

The Instagram version of the reference collection in the reading room.  ONE library that has not ditched their physical reference collection!  ONE!!!


No comments:

Post a Comment