Thursday, September 3, 2015

You said what?


I had an interesting experience yesterday at yoga class, where someone took it upon themselves to come and tell me that "Women of size need to be careful when doing yoga.  You are a Woman of Size and you are going to hurt yourself. "  She then told me how I should be doing the poses - in direct opposition to what the instructor was saying. 

Hey, we have an ACE certified teacher who is all over that class, keeping an eye on every student and correcting posture as we go.

Honey, here's a newsflash.  Women of Size, as you so delicately called me - we KNOW that we are overweight.  You have NO idea how much courage it takes to go get myself into a classroom full of thin and fit people who can twist themselves up like a pretzel.  You really want to help me out?  Get to know me.  Learn my name.  Welcome me to class when I come, and mean it. 

I am trying to help myself - but - do you want to know why overweight people drop out of exercise classes?  It's because we feel like we're being judged.  If you are that concerned about me, discuss your concerns with the instructor, and she can address it directly with me.  You know, my ACE certified instructor who knows my injuries and limitations and has given me modifications that work for me, but don't call attention to me specifically during class. 

In the meantime, you can be my friend.  Get to know me.  Talk to me.  Learn my name, and my story.  Say hi to me when you see me outside of class.  Check in on me if I don't show up for class, and make sure I am okay.  I could be having a pain filled day and couldn't make it in, or I might have had someone come over and say something "helpful" that has me doubting if I should ever go back to class again.  

Don't give me diet advice.  Don't tell me what I should be eating to lose weight.  You have no idea what I do and don't eat, and you have no right to "tell" me what to do.  Just be my friend.  Your love and acceptance means more than you can imagine.

I know you are trying to help, but it comes across as being judgmental.  Believe me, I'm already hard enough on myself.  I don't need any extra help with that.

No comments:

Post a Comment