Wednesday, August 2, 2017

Amelia S. Givin Library


Daughter and I found this gorgeous library in Pennsylvania.  We were both off for the day, and we decided we were going to explore the counties just to our north, across the state line.  This library is on the National Register of Historic Places.  The library was built in 1889.  These first few pictures are from the original, historic building - which is still in use as a library!  The building does have a modern addition in the back, and I included a couple of pictures from the modern addition.  For me, though, the real charm of the library was in the historic building.  The tile mosaic floors.  The woodwork, the iron work on the radiators.  This is a gorgeous little library!  Their collection was fantastic, too!  They have a solid collection of recent releases and public access computers which well used by the community that they serve.  I was enchanted with this library!  I could have stayed even longer then I did!  (And if they rented out rooms, I would have spent the night there!)

Enjoy the pictures!

Just look at that stone work!


And the floors!


I admit it, I really wanted to stand halfway up that ladder and go sailing down the row yelling "whee"!

Do you see the spiral staircase to the second floor?  It's hidden behind the revolving book racks on the right.
More of that beautiful wood work. Yes, those screens are wood, not metal.

The children's section in the recent addition.  It's a huge section, but I love this little corner of paradise!

The view across the addition, from the edge of the children's section.


   
The Sci-Fi Collection lives on this book rack, located in the middle of the computers.  NICE TOUCH!




Library Website:  http://www.cumberlandcountylibraries.org/AME








No comments:

Post a Comment