Monday, August 21, 2017

Solar Eclipse 2017

If I had any doubt about the amount of insanity surrounding the eclipse this weekend, it was erased when I was cursed out yesterday because our library is not handing out eclipse glasses until today.

So, if you don't have a set of eclipse glasses, but would still like to view the eclipse, there are a few things you can do.

1) Make a pinhole viewer.
Directions here: https://www.nationalgeographic.org/activity/build-a-solar-eclipse-viewer/





2) Make a pinhole projector.

https://www.accuweather.com/en/weather-news/dont-have-eclipse-glasses-make-a-pinhole-projector-to-view-the-great-american-eclipse/70002363


3) Watch the NASA live stream.

https://eclipse2017.nasa.gov/eclipse-live-stream


We didn't buy eclipse glasses.  I didn't want to fork over the money for them, and I really didn't want to stand in line.  We have a pinhole viewer, and a flat pinhole projector that I made from 2 pieces of white poster board. We will also be watching the NASA live stream.

But most important - we will be together!  I always enjoy watching people.  I will be going outside, walking around in the twilight in the middle of the day and watching the people around me.  The last partial eclipse I paid attention to was when I was in college, back in the 80's.  I remember walking around campus in the weird twilight, watching the street lights turn on, and then back off again!

I am headed out to watch with some friends this afternoon.  I'll be posting pictures below as my day goes on!  Whatever you choose to do, please view safely!

Updates:
Line outside of the library for eclipse glasses:


Look!  It's the image on the bottom of my pinhole viewer!  1:30, EST. You can see the shadow beginning to cross the sun!



No comments:

Post a Comment