Monday, August 14, 2017

This and That

Viewing the Eclipse
Much of the United States will be in the path of totality for the upcoming eclipse.  Here in Maryland, we are only going to see a partial eclipse.  I am very excited about the upcoming  solar events!  Next Monday I am headed to one of our local libraries in order to safely view the eclipse through the solar filters the Astronomical Society will have set up outside.  I'm not buying eclipse glasses.  I am making a pinhole viewer, (here: https://www.nationalgeographic.org/activity/build-a-solar-eclipse-viewer/family/) and I will be watching the live stream of the event in real time on the NASA website. https://eclipse2017.nasa.gov/eclipse-live-stream

If you're going to be outside observing the eclipse next week, remember that it is NEVER safe to look directly at the sun.  You can do permanent, irreversible damage to your retinas.  You can watch the eclipse using the eclipse glasses, but with the number of recalls I've seen for the glasses, I'm not certain that it's safe.

Whatever you choose to do, keep your eyes safe and healthy!

On My Nightstand

I remember hearing about Jim Thorpe when I was a kid.  I've always heard about Pop Warner, but I'd never put the two together, and I never really understood the impact that the two had on the sport that we call American Football.  While this is catalogued as a children's book, the material is presented in an engaging narrative that everyone will enjoy. 







Catapults
I had a library program last week where we built catapults out of craft sticks, rubber bands, and spoons.  We built castles out of cardboard blocks, and then we used our catapults to launch marshmallows at the castles.  Did we get them over the castle walls?  We did with some of them!  Curious to see how we made our catapults?  Check out the directions I found on the web here:  http://theresjustonemommy.com/2014/11/11/simple-craft-stick-catapults/

Beans, Beans, Beans, they're good for your heart...
Middle child is home for good.  He doesn't have a professional job yet, so I've hired him to finish the huge pile of odd jobs that I have around the house that need to be done.  By God, talk about progress! It's worth every penny I'm paying him.

The big bonus is that the kid loves to cook, and he is good.  He makes the best pot of beans I've ever eaten.  We've had at least one pot of beans every week since he's been home.  He makes a huge Dutch Oven full, and it provides us with meals for several days.  I'm eating a lot of beans - and um... yeah.. you know how the rhyme goes:

Beans, beans they're good for your heart.
The more you eat the more you fart. 

Enjoy your Monday!

No comments:

Post a Comment