Thursday, August 17, 2017

Sure, I'm Going to Exercise More...

Enjoy this Throw Back Thursday post!  I originally posted this on Dec. 30, 2015.

Exercising, making it a priority, and enjoying it has become a priority.  I've been working hard on getting exercise since I was dismissed from Physical Therapy- whether it be walking, going to a yoga class, or stopping by the Y and swimming a few laps.

Sadly, all of that Physical Therapy went to my head.  I feel like I'm capable of doing anything now.
 
Until earlier this week.

Baltimore has had exceptionally warm weather this month.  We've been treated to early summer temperatures that have made this the most enjoyable Christmas weather I've ever experienced.  You know, this weather has led me to make some very questionable decisions.

Case in Point:

I decided I was going to run.  Every once in a while, I get this urge to "run for my health".  I don't know where it comes from, nor why I feel the need to do this.  Maybe it's some weird form of torture I enjoy.  Maybe it's the glorious weather?  Who knows?

I strapped on my shoes, pulled my hair up in a ponytail and attempted to run.  I had mapped out a 1 mile route from my house.  I figured I might be able to do a slow jog through about half of it.

I seriously overestimated how much I could do.

The good news is:  I made it down to the end of my street.

The bad news is:  I live 3 houses from the end of the street.

By the time I got to the stop sign, I was huffing and chuffing for breath as if I had just run a marathon, not the reality of having slowly jogged 0.1 of a mile.  (You read that right, ONE TENTH of a mile.)

When I pulled up at the end of the street and started walking, one of my neighbors drove by, rolled down her window and cheerfully shouted "Great day for a run!  You look wiped!  How far did you run today, 5 miles?"

Sadly, I didn't have the breath to answer her, so I mustered some half hearted attempt at a smile, and gave her a thumbs up.

Yeah, I do this for my health.  Sure.  There's nothing healthier than running a tenth of a mile and wondering if I've managed to run enough to justify a Dairy Queen run.

No comments:

Post a Comment