Thursday, June 23, 2022

Chapter

I highlight books for older readers on my blog Books for Teens.  I have a few of the books here that I talked about with the kids in 3rd-5th grade. The great thing about chapter books is that they can be enjoyed by older readers as well as read out loud to younger readers. I'm going to attempt a short summary for each of these titles, or else my post would be forever and a day long.  I'm going to highlight the ones that would easily cross over to older readers on my book blog over the next few month.

image: worldcat.org


Fans of Harry Potter will love this book!

Amari Peters finds herself at the Magical Institute studying to be a magician after her brother mysteriously disappears. Convinced that he is alive, Amari looks for clues to her brother's disappearance while studying to be a magician. Shunned by many of the students because of her tremendous power, Amari struggles to find friends that she can trust to help her in her dual quest.

*This is ones of the books I'm having trouble writing only one or two sentences about because I loved the book so much, and there's just so much that I want to say!


image: worldcat.org

 This winner of the 2021 Newberry Award is based upon Korean Folk Lore.

Lily makes a deal with a magical tiger to save her Halmoni. As Lily works to meet the demands of the Tiger, she discovers more about her family's history. An enchanting tale that shows the power of love across generations. 

I'm having trouble containing myself on this post. I'll have a review of the book up on my book blog soon.

 

The blackbird girls
image: World Cat

 A first person point of view of the Chernobyl Nuclear Disaster. This compelling story captures the uncertainty that the residents of the areas around Chernobyl felt in the days and weeks surrounding one of the worst nuclear disasters in history.

 Link to my review on my blog is here: The Black Bird Girls

  

Spending the summer on the reservation with his grandmother means no electricity, no running water, and no video games. But Nathan's summer takes an unexpected turn when he finds a sick water monster on his grandmother's farm. Healing the Water Monster involves a journey that has great risks as well as rewards.



Riley Oh is a non-magical person (Saram) who lives with her parents and adopted sister. Her sister hatches a plan to share her magical powers with Riley. But when the plan goes horribly awry, Riley finds that not everything as it seems, and that she, herself is faced with the task of saving her sister.

From Kate DiCamillo comes this wonderful story of a girl named Beatryce who is being sought by an evil king, for she holds the keys to his ability to remain in power forever.

I have a talk about this book on my book blog here.


I reviewed Charlie Hernandez for my book blog a while back. You can find it here.

 

Unless noted otherwise, these images were taken by me, LibraryNut.

No comments:

Post a Comment