Thursday, June 9, 2022

Thrifty Thursday

If you work outside of the house, what do you find yourself doing for lunch every day? It's all too easy to stop somewhere fast, drive through a handy window somewhere, or stop in the cafeteria to pick up something fast so you can get back to work quickly. 

I admit - I close 2 nights a week at work, and the temptation to run across the street to one of the many restaurants is strong. Besides the usual fast food places, we have Indian, Ethiopian, and Japanese restaurants. I had never tried Ethiopian Food before that restaurant opened. It was love at first bite. But with a dinner from one of those restaurants running over $20 for just me, eating out has become a once a month treat.

As a result, I have begun prepping my lunches for the week on Sundays. 

This past week, I roasted 3 pounds of russet potatoes and a great big onion. I portioned them out into 5 containers.

But then, what do I put on those potatoes?

We had taco salad Saturday night. When I made the protein mixture, I stretched it out with 2 cans of black beans and corn, along with a can of diced tomatoes. I then took the extra protein mix and added a heaping quarter cup to the potatoes.

Now, because it's just the 2 of us at home, we had extra taco meat left over. I put it into a freezer bag and labeled it so that we could use it later.  I pulled it out last night for a quick dinner. I made a fusion stir fry.  We sliced up a head of broccoli, and stir fried that. We added that to cooked Ramen Noodles and the leftover taco meat.  I then added my sauce that I first started making back in college.  I don't think it's authentic anything, but it always adds a nice punch to whatever I make. 

3 pounds of russets, 1 pound of ground beef, 2 cans of corn, 2 cans of black beans, 1 bag of salad, 1 big onion, 1 head of broccoli, 1 package of gluten free ramen noodles, and 1 bag of corn chips.   The salsa I used? I canned that last summer at the height of tomato season.

That served me 5 lunches, husband took the leftover stir fry for lunch today, and the 2 meals for the two of us for a total of 10 servings.  


My favorite Stir Fry Sauce:

3 TBSP Soy Sauce

2 tsp corn starch

2 TBSP Dry Sherry

 1 tsp ginger

1 tsp sugar

1/2 tsp salt

1/2 tsp crushed red pepper

Mix the ingredients together, set aside.  Pour over ingredients in skillet at the end. Cook and stir until thickened and bubbly. Serve immediately.

Like I said, I don't think it's authentic anything. Maybe authentic 80's college student?

 


No comments:

Post a Comment