Tuesday, June 21, 2022

My Favorite Series Books for Transitional Readers

 A transitional reader is a child who is working on moving from learning how to read to reading independently on their own. They are beginning to decode words and recognize more words when reading. They can read for longer periods of time, and they are beginning to make inferences and predictions. 

These are my favorite books for transitional readers for 2022.



This charming series of books is set in Colombia.

I love that the stories are told in English, with lots of Spanish words used liberally throughout the books.




Mindy and her father have moved to Orlando after her mother passed away.
Starting over in a new place is difficult, but Mindy and her Dad make new friends in their quest 
to adapt to life without their Mom and still hold true to their Korean heritage.


Sadiq is originally from Somalia, but his family now lives in Minnesota.
He enjoys STEM activities, and he and his friends are always finding new things to explore together.
Note - I love that the Somali Language is tossed in throughout the book.  There is a glossary/dictionary in the back to help readers understand words that are new to them.



This is not a series book, but it is an awesome book of very silly poetry!




The Bad Guys. I can't say enough good things about this series. 
I've been sharing this book with young readers since the first books came out.
In the series, Mr. Shark, Mr. Wolf, Mr. Piranha and Mr. Snake set out to change their reputation as Bad Guys and set out to do good deeds everywhere.  The book cover I  have here is from Book #11. (The only one on our shelves.)





Mo loves to play sports! He might not always be the fastest or the best, but he always tries to do his best!



Flubby is a stubborn cat who does what independent cats do best --- whatever they want!



Katie Woo and Katie Woo's Universe.  I love the stories of Katie and her friends!





Sydney and Taylor are best friends who try new things together.
When one of them gets scared, the other one helps them conquer their fears.



Dear Beast. OMG. I found the first book in this series days before we shut down in 2020.
(I pulled it off the shelf and checked it out as I was leaving the library from my very last shift.)
I fell in love with Simon the cat who was protesting the arrival of Baxter the dog and kept sending him formal letters of protest via a snail (snail mail, get it?) The writing is smart and funny and the illustrations are warm and wonderful.
I keep checking out new additions to the series as they arrive!



My perennial favorite.
I read this series aloud to my kids when they were in preschool/early elementary.
We still find ourselves quoting these books.
Junie B is a smart and spunky kindergartner who keeps getting into the craziest mishaps... much like every kid ever.
(And me. I related to a LOT of these stories - both as a mother and remembering my own childhood.)



Note: All of these images were taken by me.

No comments:

Post a Comment