Thursday, November 7, 2013

A Really Bad Day

Wednesday turned out to be one of the worst days I've had in quite a while...
I subbed in a new position.  One I've never subbed in before.  I subbed in an elementary school as one of the Fine Arts team.  (PE, Music, Art, Media).  Hmmm... that was an eye opener.   School started at 9, and my lunch break was at 10.  From 10:30-4:00, I did not get another break.  No time to pee, no time to eat, and a constant stream of new classes coming in every half hour to be taught.

By the time 4 rolled around, I was cranky, I was grumpy, and I was seriously beginning to question my need for a set of Depends.

I had a massive headache when I left, and decided I would stop at Chick-Fil-A for a milkshake.  I figured a quick shot of sugar, with a little bit of milk product tossed in for protein would hold me until I could get dinner on the table.  I went through the drive through, the girl in the window handed me my shake, and the lid popped off.  I ended up with shake all over me, my dress pants, my wool sweater, the little coin holder thing under the emergency brake, my purse, the papers in my purse... It was a God awful mess.  I asked the girl for help getting myself back together, and she looked like a deer caught in the headlights.  She gave me a napkin to help me clean up and then asked me to move on.  ONE napkin.  Nope, just not gonna cut it.  I spent the first hour after I finally got home cleaning out my car.

DH decided to make dinner.  We had a dried soup mix.  I was willing to give it a shot.  It was vegan, so we thought it would be healthy.  It was supposed to cook up in 30 minutes.  I guess someone forgot to tell the manufacturer (and me) that dried beans take longer than 30 minutes to cook appropriately.  We sat down to a dinner that smelled really good but was full of rock hard beans.

I ended up having to cancel a sub job for yesterday because that stomach virus that has been traveling around school is now traveling through me.  The school system has told us that if we cancel too many jobs because of illness, they'll drop us as substitutes.  I debated the pros and cons of going into school sick, but finally decided that this was a virus I did not need to share with anyone else.

We finally got ready for bed and found that one of the cats had peed in the bed.  Seriously.  Can things get any worse?  We threw the blankets in the washing machine and slept on the living room floor, wrapped up in sleeping bags.

The bright spot is that we did find out how to get rid of the smell of cat urine.

The blankets were washed three times in hot water.  The first time was with vinegar.  The second time with bleach, and the last time was with our regular laundry detergent.

We were fortunate in that we had a mattress pad on the bed and the cat pee didn't seep through to the mattress.

Yesterday was only slightly better.  Raging stomach virus.  Do I need to say more?

I'm hoping today is better.  I had to cancel the job for today, too.  I'm better, but my immune system is still suffering.  Do I really want to spend a day in a germ factory, picking up some new little microscopic invader?

So sorry to vent, but I just needed a little virtual sympathy!

NOTE:
It's Friday morning, and I just looked through this post.  Holy cow,  you can tell I wasn't feeling well when I wrote it!  Everything happened yesterday! 

Seriously, the bad day of subbing and the milkshake incident was Tuesday.  I spent the evening at a business and public relations meeting for the robotics team.

Weds. and Thurs. were the days of the stomach virus.  Today, I'm feeling better, and I've got a much clearer head.

I'm home again today, but at least I didn't have a job lined up for today!  Instead, I'm picking up one of my boys from school to head to the dentist, and then we're picking up the daughter and heading off to unload Girl Scout cookies from the truck. 

No comments:

Post a Comment