Tuesday, November 12, 2013

Dinner Tonight

My husband stopped by my favorite produce market yesterday while we were out and about.  We bought another bag of 50 cent vegetables.

I had originally planned to make chili for dinner tonight, but I decided to make vegetable soup for dinner since some of the veggies need to be taken care of now!

The following is my own recipe for veggie soup:
As always, make sure you wash your veggies well before you cut them up and add them to your soup pot!

8 Cups of water
2 cubes of Veggie Broth
1 onion, chopped
2 stalks of celery, chopped (leaves and all)
2 potatoes, cubed
2 turnips, peeled and cubed
1 tomato, diced, or 1 can of diced tomatoes
1 cup frozen corn
1 cup snapped green beans, fresh or frozen
1/4 head of cabbage, if you have any on hand
1 parsnip, peeled and cubed
1 small can of V-8 juice
1/4 cup of mashed potatoes or mashed potato flakes  (add this last bit LAST, within a half hour of serving to help thicken your soup)

Add everything to a pot, bring to a boil, and simmer until the veggies are soft.  If you are going to cook this in a slow cooker, set your timer for 6 hours on low.  Make certain you stir it all well before you serve it.  I don't know why, but the veggies tend to settle into layers over a period of time in a crock pot!

Don't ask why I add the V-8 juice.  I just do!  My Mom always added it, and I really like the little bit of kick it gives my soup.  I use the little, single serving size cans.  I buy an 8 pack, and keep the extras on the shelf in the cupboard for the next batch.

If you have any extra veggies on hand, toss them in. 

We're expecting a little snow on the East Coast today!  I'm looking forward to the first snow of the season!  I can't wait!!

No comments:

Post a Comment