Tuesday, February 18, 2014

My Accomplishments

It's been an interesting week!  Since we've been snowbound for most of the past week, virtually no money has been spent.  I haven't been to the grocery store in almost two weeks, but I did manage a quick trip to the library for books and DVD's before the last storm hit!

1) We are replacing the floor in the hallway.  We paid $250 for a laminate flooring, and tore out the old tile ourselves.  We paid $40 when we dropped the tile off at the landfill.  So, for a new floor in the hall and entryway in our house, we are going to pay less than $300.  The bigger question you are asking yourself is, "How do you know how to replace a floor?".  Ahh.... two things.  One, we have a book "Flooring 1 - 2 - 3" that we bought from Home Depot and use as a reference.  Two, we have been volunteering for Habitat for Humanity and Christmas in April since we were in college.  One great thing about this?  You walk into a build site with only the ability to paint a wall or hammer a nail.  Over time, the contractors who volunteer their time pull people to work with them, and train them how to do a different job.  So, over time, you pick up a wonderful skill set of handy skills that serve you well in real life.  That's one of the perks of volunteering that nobody ever mentions!

2) Cooked every meal (except on Valentine's Day) from scratch.  I found a wonderful recipe for Moroccan Chick Pea Stew that was totally awesome!  At this moment in time, the link isn't working, as their server is down!  As soon as their server comes back up again, I'll post the active link!

3) We checked out the first four doctors (Doctor Who) from the library before the snow hit.  You know, you forget about how bad the original set design was until you go back and watch.  Of course, the first Doctor was broadcast in black and white, and the sets were cutting edge for the time!  I found a spice packet for Bangers and Mash, and another one for Custard, the last time I was at the grocery store.  They were on the clearance rack, for $1 each, so I picked them up and we enjoyed an interesting variation on an English feast while watching the Doctor on Friday night.

4) One of the bad things about tearing out the floor is that I had to empty out two hall closets.  There was a lot of crap in those closets.  I'm still sorting through everything I pulled out of them.  It looks as if I'm going to have another big run to Goodwill in the not to distant future.

5) I finished our income taxes.  It's been an experience!  Even though we use the software, it's still entirely too much time spent digging through little pieces of paper, attempting to track down the correct information.  I'm glad that this job is over for another year!

6) I finished and mailed out the shawl that had been custom ordered from my Etsy shop.  She had chosen a beautiful color, I really loved the finished product!  It was beautiful!

7) I registered to take the PRAXIS subject exam in Special Education.  I really do feel pulled to work with Special Education, and the first step to doing this full time is to get the endorsement on my certificate.  I'll be taking it on the computer, in a testing center in April.  Time to start studying!

8) I cleaned out my car!

I won't be posting tomorrow- I am attending a legislative advocacy day in conjunction with the United Methodist Women tomorrow.  We are going to be learning more about pending legislation relating to Domestic Violence, and then we are going to meet with several representatives to discuss the legislation.  I'll post the story about my day on Thursday.  I love this day... I get to see our democracy in action, meet with our elected representatives, and find out more about a critical issue.

What did you accomplish this past week?

No comments:

Post a Comment